Author Topic: Wind to Feed the Grid  (Read 1220 times)

Yianie123.

Wind to Feed the Grid
« on: June 22, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »
I was wondering if anyone is feeding the grid with their wind turbine.  I was thinking about building a wind turbine to charge batteries and then from the batteries feed the grid.  The overall goal is not to deal with a large battery bank and to reduce my electric bill to the minimum cost.  Overall Net metering.  Any Info will be valued.

freejuice

Re: Wind to Feed the Grid
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »
Hi Yianie,
 if you art refering to those stackable grid tie inverters which are plugged ito a ground fault receptical and convert wind or solar power to feed back into the grid, If not mistaken, they are not UL approved, ( here in the U.S.), thus you should not be using them for grid tying....I believe that kind of stuff is refered to as "Guerrilla power" doing something without approval.
 Power companies can be very fickle...somethimes rightfully so and sometimes not.
 It would be best just to keep the mill seperate and use a battery bank for seperate use.

From what I can tell grid tying requires a whole new can of worms to be opened, such as costly programmed inverters, smaller wire and larger number of turns for you stator, and then there's approval before the power company will allow it to be connected....and from what I'm hearing out there, the power comapny will usually shoot it down if its not UL approved.
 All the best,
 Gavin

jarrod9155

Re: Wind to Feed the Grid
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »
Like he said do it right the first time ul approved arora power one inverter is your best bet for a grid tied axel flux altenator . ;)