Author Topic: Variable Air Gap  (Read 12335 times)

joseba1

Variable Air Gap
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
I did a search for this but didn't come up with any non-theoretical entries.  So has anyone designed and tested a mill that reduces the air-gap as wind/rpm increases?
If so how did it work, or better how is it working?

Thanks j

joestue

Re: Variable Air Gap
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »
no one has built one.. and it don't make sense to do so anyway.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:48:03 AM »
ditto for me why would you want to? explain your logic please?

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:17:48 AM »
For an air gap type alternator charging batteries it would work better the other way round.

At cut in you need all the flux you can get to get the volts at the lowest speed. If it is a low resistance winding then you would hit stall early and certainly increasing the gap would let the speed rise and keep the prop output up.

If you could do it sensibly without too much mechanical complexity then it would certainly help but it may be a tricky device to build. I would prefer rotating one magnet disc in relation to the other like the advance mechanism on a car distributor.

The scheme still has the big defect of all these fixed ratio devices in that you are going to need a big and costly low resistance stator to make best effect from the scheme. Ideally you need less turns and thicker wire at high speed to keep the efficiency up.

I am not sure if it has been tried but I suspect it has. Anything that improves the matching between the prop and the load will help.

Flux

joseba1

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:42:56 AM »
Thanks guys, especially Flux, for your responses.  I sketched something out last night that doesn't seem to complicated to me.  I'll post the sketch(s) when I think I've covered my bases. 

I've read some theoretical stuff, that indicates it would be something beneficial.  I also read about things like multiple rotor/stator combinations which seems much more complicated and way more expensive than "overbuilding" a typical one stator two rotor machine. 

I guess my main purpose is to do something different and if you do it before anyone else you get bragging rights.  Not everything anyone does has to make pure sense.
Edmund Hillary might tell you something like that.

Thanks j   

joseba1

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
Here's a sketch of a hypothetical variable air gap axial flux machine.
This is a concept drawing not to be construed as anything like a specification.

Things of note:

* Springs and studs in center holding out one rotor away from stator. (you can get small compression springs for several hundred pounds of force.)
* Centrifugal "fly-ball" governor to lever in the rotor. (Flux being constant between mags no need to move both.)
* As RPMs increase the balls will be forced away from axis of rotation.

I can't conceive of away to stall the turbine with this arrangement but it might be a good way to maximize productive hours.

Feel free to comment, discuss, cuss, argue or whatever.

Tritium

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:32 PM »
Looks like it would work backwards to what Flux stated, that the air gap needs to increase with speed not decrease. Of course it could be altered very easily by changing the cam shape / location on your fly-ball assembly . It may take some pretty hefty parts as the attractive force between rotors is quite substantial.  

Thurmond
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:12:51 PM by Tritium »

joseba1

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
Well Thurmond,
The concept as set out here is to overbuild the altenator for the strongest wind condition.  Increase the gap to allow the mill to function at a lower wind speed.  As wind speed/rpm increases,  decrease the gap.

Tritium

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »
As you wish. I was just pointing out that it was backwards to what Flux's nearly limitless wisdom stated he would do. I do like the simplicity of the design and the ease that it could be built either way.

Thurmond

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
     I like it. Nice that you went to the trouble of making such an easy to understand sketch, Also, with apologies, I like the way it closes the air gap with increased speed. In an overbuilt alternator perhaps that could be used to limit speed instead of furling. I bet getting the proper balance between the springs and the weights would be a headache. As Thurmond pointed out the pull of the rotors would be substantial and one weak spring could make for a wobbly rotor. A nice shot at thinking outside the box.

joseba1

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
Yeah, well I think Flux wouldn't do it at all.   I don't wish to speak for him, but  I think he favored instead a shift of polarity between rotors.  He felt that would be more easily accomplished.   As I coudn't come up with any simple way for this pea brain to do that, I favored this alternative. 

...Headache Yes, the balance between magnet force, spring force and the force exerted by the governor would be a pretty substantial math problem, but it really is just math.  Too bad I forgot most of that stuff after I took my last final.

j

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:01:30 AM »
Ed Lenz built a variable air gap turbine generator long ago and experimented with it.  Ed gave up on it and went to using a star/delta switch instead.
--
Chris

joseba1

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 08:57:48 AM »
Hey Chris, do you know any particulars about this machine Lenz bought? 

joseba1

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »
Sorry Chris I miss read your post.  He BUILT a variable gap machine.    ... Humm, I checked his web site before but I wasn't looking for such as that at the time.

thanks j

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
Hey Chris, do you know any particulars about this machine Lenz bought? 

He didn't buy it, he built it.  I believe it may have been a downwind turbine but I can't remember for sure.  It was an experiment that didn't turn out as he expected and he went to using a star delta switching mechanism instead that utilized some sort of electronic controller.
--
Chris

joseba1

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
A Star Delta switch is a more straight forward and less mechanical way to go about it to be sure, but the solution that I'm seeking would be more variable than that.

...Right now it's more of a thought experiment, lots of study, asking, sketching...

But I'd like to be able to put something tangible together the begining of next year...unless I can't figure it out.

j

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
Also, something Flux often mentions is MPPT. If I understand it right it may be an easier way to do what you want, albeit in a different fashion. Search through Flux's posts for MPPT and if nothing else it makes for good reading.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
A Star Delta switch is a more straight forward and less mechanical way to go about it to be sure, but the solution that I'm seeking would be more variable than that.

Then I would consider building a generator with a wound field and varying the field strength.  Automotive alternators have used this method for years and it works very well.

You're going to find that moving rotors with permanent magnets installed on them takes considerable mechanical force due to the very strong attraction between the rotors, or the rotor and core if you use an iron core stator.  Building an infinitely variable governor or mechanical actuator able to withstand several hundred pounds of attraction force developed by permanent magnet generator rotors, and do it reliably, is no trivial task.
--
Chris

joseba1

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
The compression springs in the sketch are intended to counter the attractive force of the mags.  The fly-ball is intended to compress the springs.

I'm sure it isn't a trivial task.

Tritium

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »
Standard 24 magnet alternator (12 per rotor 2" X 1" X .5" N42) have a potential force of 1728 lbs., nearly 1 ton of force to separate the rotors if they touch. I am guessing 3/8 to 1/2 ton with a 1/2 inch gap between rotors.

Thurmond

joseba1

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Wow, that's a ton of force!   Some standard off the shelf compression springs with 1" od 1/2" id can bench press 500 lbs each.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »
The compression springs in the sketch are intended to counter the attractive force of the mags.  The fly-ball is intended to compress the springs.

Unfortunately, you have the thing designed backwards, unless I'm missing something here.  The air gap has to be tightest at cut-in and widen to keep the turbine rotor out of stall as speed increases.

At a fixed air gap the rpm/volt of a permanent magnet generator decreases as rpm increases.  An ideal variable air gap generator will maintain a fixed rpm/volt over the entire operating range of the generator from cut-in to rated speed.  This requires an increase in the air gap as speed increases.  However, it doesn't solve the problem of reduced generator efficiency at rated speed with the wide air gap.  The best way to obtain low speed cut-in with ultimate high output efficiency is to use a wye/delta switch.  Running a wide air gap at rated speed only increases the amount of copper you need in the windings, reduces efficiency, and causes overheat.  BTDT.

--
Chris

jimovonz

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
Your springs would have to be non-linear, and I suspect that it would be a nightmare to setup. Don't forget gyroscopic forces that are going to want to tilt your movable rotor when the turbine yaws into the wind while rotating. Is it going to be worth the effort when the increased resistance of your windings (due to increased turns to achieve a reasonable cut in speed with a wide air gap) robs you of all the increased power your after at higher speeds?

jimovonz

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
At a fixed air gap the rpm/volt of a permanent magnet generator decreases as rpm increases.  An ideal variable air gap generator will maintain a fixed rpm/volt over the entire operating range of the generator from cut-in to rated speed. 

Somehow my fixed gap alternators always seem to manage to produce a fixed rpm/volt... 

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
Somehow my fixed gap alternators always seem to manage to produce a fixed rpm/volt... 

I've never tested one yet that does.  If it has 10 rpm/volt @ 120 rpm, it'll be like 9 @ 250 and 8 and 400, depending on the winding configuration and magnets used.

Back when we used ceramic magnets there was no such thing as turbines running in stall in high winds.  These neo magnets create generators that are more efficient due to less turns used, but they also have very steep power curves compared to the homebrew generators of old that used ceramic mags.
--
Chris

Rover

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
[/quote

The only time I've seen this is when going into batteries, and its the battery holding the voltage
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:32 PM »
From your sketch I see only two weights, when the machine yaws those weights are not going to like it (even if you had three ditto), bob weight governors have been around a long time but one thing all the units I have seen do is run in the same plane.

Allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

jimovonz

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »
The only time I've seen this is when going into batteries, and its the battery holding the voltage

Rover, I think you missunderstood. I was not talking about constant voltage but rather a constant ratio of voltage/rpm (open circuit/EMF).

I've never tested one yet that does.  If it has 10 rpm/volt @ 120 rpm, it'll be like 9 @ 250 and 8 and 400, depending on the winding configuration and magnets used.

Chris, that is interesting. I presume you are talking about an air gap alternator? To what do you attribute this change? My understanding is that coil voltage is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux. Doubling the rpm doubles the rate of change and thus doubles the voltage. The only way I can see that the voltage would not double is if the flux some how reduces. Since we are talking about permanent magnets and open circuit coils the only way I can think of is due to eddy losses. I have not seen this effect - though I seldom test much beyond 2 x my intended cut in rpm (or twice my intended system nominal voltage). I also stay away from large guage wire which may be the difference here.

An ideal variable air gap generator will maintain a fixed rpm/volt over the entire operating range of the generator from cut-in to rated speed.  This requires an increase in the air gap as speed increases.

Why dou you think that an ideal variable gap alternator would produce a constant volage/rpm? If the voltage reduces as rpm increases as you claim, wouldn't that require that the gap is reduced as is being proposed rather than increased as rpm rises?

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
4]

VOLTS per RPM. Open volts in other words

NOT output Volts to a Battery. Where the battery obviously clamps the voltage.

Tap, Tap is your switch engaged?

Silly Wabbit
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:58:48 PM by TomW »

Rover

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »
My gaff, somehow saw it as fixed voltage over rpm. not as a curve

..can I cook the rabbit?
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »
Chris, that is interesting. I presume you are talking about an air gap alternator? To what do you attribute this change?

I've never really looked into what causes it, and it's most noticeable with 12 volt generators where you may have 10 or more rpm/volt at cut-in.  I just looked at the data from the last one I tested and here it is, copied and pasted, unedited, out of my notes when I was doing it:
hand test with test coil-
2.0 volts @ 135 rpm --- 13 rpm/volt

running on test stand with test coil-
7.2 volts @ 450 rpm --- 12 rpm/volt
14.9 volts @ 850 rpm --- 11 rpm/volt

The above was using 2 x 1 x .5 N42 bars and winding the test coil with 13 AWG wire.

I have notes like this from over 20 different generators I have built and they all exhibit the same thing - the faster you turn it, the rpm/volt ratio decreases.

Why dou you think that an ideal variable gap alternator would produce a constant volage/rpm? If the voltage reduces as rpm increases as you claim, wouldn't that require that the gap is reduced as is being proposed rather than increased as rpm rises?

Typically, what I have seen in current homebrew designs is generators that cut in at a reasonably low wind speed and put the rotor into stall in higher winds above 20 mph where it should be really spinning and start to shine.  I have tested some of these generators I've built at various air gaps to see what it actually does to the overall performance, and I've found that this phenomenon where the rpm/volt ratio starts to decrease at higher speeds is partially responsible for putting the rotor into stall.

The approximate amount of amps your stator is going to deliver at any speed can be figured by subtracting the clamp voltage from the open voltage and dividing that result by the resistance of the winding in ohms.

If you put a generator on the test stand and graph this, which I have done with an 11" diameter 12 pole 9 coil 12 volt wired wye, I found that opening the air gap by roughly .050" for every 100 rpm increase in speed kept the rpm/volt ratio constant and provided a non-linear power curve that made it possible for the rotor to keep spinning in its optimum TSR range (6-7 for the rotor I was testing).  If I left the air gap at .650" a 10 foot rotor would cut in nicely at around 6.5 mph wind speed, but at that air gap the generator needed to run at 430 rpm to deliver its peak continuous power and the rotor could not do it - the fastest it could spin it was 333 rpm and by the time the wind was blowing at 28 mph that 10.6 foot rotor was in hard stall running at a 4.5 TSR and 333 rpm and that's all it would do.

Opening the air gap by .150" made all the difference in the world - that 10 foot rotor popped right up to 460 rpm like a charm and the generator put out about 27% more power - BUT - it got hot.

So there is some basis for a variable air gap system and I don't downplay that effort at all.  What the problem ends up being is that changing the air gap actually reduces the efficiency of the generator at higher speed (gives you a higher rpm/volt ratio).  It also drastically increases the efficiency of rotor that was previously running severely stalled.  Now what you get is a rotor that's putting out way more power than the generator can handle.

The most common method to deal with this is to wind with heavier wire or more strands in hand.  But there's limits there - you get harmonics problems when you wind with multiple strands and you get eddy problems when you use overly big wire.

There's another way to do it, and wind the stator using actually smaller wire - switch the thing to delta at the proper speed.  The latest one I have cuts in at 72 rpm with a 10.58 (I call it a 10) foot rotor.  At 10 mph wind speed it delivers about 8.5 amps.  At that point it's turning at 132 rpm and it gets switched to delta.  There's a slight delay while the rotor spins up and it goes up to 210 rpm - 8 TSR - and it puts out the same ~8.5 amps that it did in wye.  As the wind picks up it only gets better.  That machine will deliver 880 watts on a 12 volt battery charging system, continuous @ 28 mph and I don't furl it until just about 40 mph where it puts out slightly over 1.3 kW.

The key is in the fact that for any given winding in wye, the resistance of that same winding is roughly 1/3 in delta and the ampacity of the winding is double in delta what it is in wye.  That machine can easily deliver 1 kW of power to a 12 volt bank and it doesn't get hot.  What gets hot is everything else - wiring and rectifiers specifically.  You start pushing 65-70 amps continuous on a good wind day and you'll find out good your rectifiers are.

So I think I understand what joseba1 might like to try to accomplish with a variable air gap here.  And that's the only reason this thread caught my eye - it's kind of in sync with some of the stuff I've tested.  I will never sit here and tell him not to do it - he might come up with a way to make it work.  I'm just offering some of the experiences I've had in testing along the same lines.  And I think if you talk to Ed Lenz you'll find that long ago he did some of the same testing I've done more recently and came to the same conclusion I did, which is that the REAL answer lies in using a delta winding if you want ultimate high wind performance.
--
Chris

joseba1

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 04:06:45 AM »
Thanks guys for the input.

At this point I'm not sure which post or posts to address.

The sketch is just a concept, not anything resembling a plan.

Yes, there should be some intresting forces at work here.

Non-linear springs, yes.
Headache to set up, yes.
Gyroscopic forces, yes.
Would it be worth it, not sure.
Fly-ball governor causing gyroscopic problems, depends on where the load is and how much weight it is relative to total live and dead load.

Also something I thought of today that the mags may delaminate from the rotor given the variability of force, they may work their way loose.
I think a more positive attachment maybe in order.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 06:01:30 AM »
If you can solve the mechanical problem then a variable air gap will help to improve performance if you run with higher alternator efficiencies.  To run the other way with wide air gap and close the gap to stall in high winds is a more risky and probably not cost effective approach.

Looking at it the logical way of opening the gap in higher winds you certainly can match the prop. The snag is that it comes with a very large price tag in terms of alternator cost.

Consider a machine operating between cut in at 7 mph and full output at 28mph, you have a 4:1 rise in voltage if you keep the prop at constant tsr. If you wound it in 4 sections with them in series at cut in, they would ideally be in parallel at full load to just maintain enough volts over the battery to supply full current.  The 4 sections in parallel would have 1/16 of the resistance of the winding at cut in.

To equal this with no change in winding you need to start with an alternator of 1/16 the resistance of a normal machine at cut in. Roughly this comes down to using 4 times the magnet and copper.

Going the series/parallel or star delta route gets you much closer to the ideal. A 3 step change would be pretty good. All the tap change and reconnection schemes have problems but certainly they can give a better match over the speed range than conventional fixed windings.

There are so many compromises that most people choose the simple option with less power production but with a lower initial machine cost. There are a lot of things you can do to give improvements and let's face it for many the fun is in the challenge. If you are doing it on simply a simplicity and cost basis it works out cheaper to build a simple 10ft machine than a complicated 8ft one.

There is no escaping the fact that low wind energy capture goes up with rotor diameter squared, there is no electrical or electronic trickery that can increase the low wind production of a given size rotor. You can triple the power out at 30 mph for the same machine by improving matching but monthly energy comes more form light winds that the few high wind days.

Give it a try, it will be a mechanical nightmare but good learning experience.

Flux