Author Topic: Designing starter setup that is expandable, need help  (Read 7736 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Designing starter setup that is expandable, need help
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »
The accurate tools/serious-sounds inverters have on time ground fault, after one ground fault event the inverter is smoked, most of these types of inverters are not UL approved and will NOT be approved by any electrical inspector, in a UL approved inverter the neutral and earth ground are bonded just like in the service panel in your house,
with an accurate tools inverter if you touch the what they call neutral to an earth ground the inverter is smoked.
I'm pretty sure the Advanced inverters you posted about are made by the same people and will have the same problems.
If you want a good UL approved medium priced inverter look at AIMS inverters or Samlec, the AIMS units are made in Taiwan, the difference in quality between the mainland China units and the Taiwanese units is like night and day.
http://www.theinverterstore.com/
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

zvizdic

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »
First you need to read, read and read .

Until  you  learn all about  Watts ,Amps, Ohms, Volts

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
G -

Got to thinking about this -

6000/12000W 12V inverter?  Yikes.

It's gotta be that PMPO rating crap type BS which one used to find on car stereo 'power boosters' in the late 80s.

Remember that? LMFAO

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »
Got to thinking about this...

Things I was thinking about:

There are houses in this >100YO neighborhood with 6900W service, depending on how it is calculated.

Alternator from a 76 Chevy truck with a 350 sb, spinning full speed, peaked out, would take more than a dozen to make that much power.

A video of 6000W being pulled from "This power inverter can be hooked directly to your car battery" would be impressive, though I wouldn't wanna be there in real life.

Because there are only a couple people peddling them for ~$200, "These Units retail for around: $1,500.00!" would need a real RE retailer selling them for $1500.

I recall a 150W booster in my VW Beetle for the under-dash mounted 8-Track.
My stunning good looks tend to make people underestimate my age.   ;D
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
A video of 6000W being pulled from "This power inverter can be hooked directly to your car battery" would be impressive, though I wouldn't wanna be there in real life.

LMAO Yeah you're gonna need more than that suit... HAHAHA

It's a lot of juice, no doubt.

I think it gets fed into by that whole "well, it's a 200A breaker, feed it" mentality.

Instead of targeting ideas like cutting usage back first, this being paramount to a successful and cost-effective system, these cons play on the idea that this lesson can be a slow and expensive concept to grab.

Buzz words. 6000W for $100? Better grab it. Same idea as the PMPO boosters - It sounded like it would be mean, on the shelf (even though it was tiny as crap), and disappointed time and time again. But we kept coming back... Only 150W LOL I had one was 400! Damn we were naive...

Cutting back doesn't happen properly until one has sat down and accounted for all those kWh on the electric bill first, made them go away, and find the middle ground you can live with... The number you then see is the one that you use.

Cons are after money. Period. They will have you with arms full of junk, and wallets full of holes, based on all these hokey numbers, with nothing of useful nature to behold for it.

Grease the label up with snake oil on something for long enough, and anything starts to look pretty! Do it on lots of your 'favorite' junk? People start buying it.

Red flag; the design comes after - one should not have a picture in one's head yet to compare to - Most don't even know how much energy they USE at this point, nevermind what their best resource is in their location, or some of the other more obscure details... Granted locale doesn't apply to inverters... I digress. Point is, if any of this sounds like you have not specifically addressed it, you're not ready for a full scale design just yet.

Some day...  ???  :-\

Steve
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:00:19 PM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !