Author Topic: New solar system in Paradise  (Read 35729 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
New solar system in Paradise
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:21:27 AM »
OK it's no secret we, blondie and I have retired to far north Queensland Australia, our new solar system commenced today.
 A trailer load of panels arrived with 4 competent installers.

Prep work for attaching 10 Kw of panels

OK guys this is how I want it done

OK back row of panels up

All panels up, the angles are a bit of a compromise because of the house orientation, and no tracking is not all that viable in a cyclonic area.

Panel data, no neither can I but basically 37.5V open 5.05 Amp

Batteries and isolator 1600 A/H Exide flooded cells @ 48V

Three string through 3 Xantrax MPPT units, same inverter as I had at the farm we sold

My task for the day

free add
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:08:18 AM by TomW »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: New solar system in Pasadise
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »
Good man.  Another 10kWp up is a good thing...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bj

Re: New solar system in Paradise
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
   Nice pics.  It looks like "Paradise" is exactly the right word.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:56:04 AM »
Ooohhh Ahhh that looks soooo nice. Congrats. Paradise indeed, and PVs galore too boot.
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
Holy smokes - I rented the exact same model of ditch-witch today.  Sadly I needed it to get re-connected to the grid, unlike yourselves.
It's fun to identify technology that is identical from country to country, while other things are radically different.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:36:49 AM »
Sweet!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

David HK

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:49:23 AM »
Is it really paradise?

Surely there must be poisonous snakes, crocodiles and all sorts of nasties around?

Or is it a case of BBQ's everday washed down with Tooheys?

David in Hong Kong.

PS Good luck!

wpowokal

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
David there are Crocks in their environment, carpet snakes and possibly two poison ones but as always eyes open, very few mozies, most living is outdoors. Of course like I suspect for you in the wet season not a lot of sun and gobs of rain, but this area attracts a certain type of person oh and a few ferrals.

The hardest part is the drive across the mountain to the ferry and thus town for major shopping, most everyday needs are catered for, things like fishing, pub, fuel, chemist, medical center and everything else I forgot.

Allan

wpowokal

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:41:52 AM »
OK day two of the install, now with so many panels it required a large bundle of cables to connect them all to the three Zantrex maximum Power Point Trackers (MPPT), they are pulling them through a 50mm (2") conduit.

Now we have them this far where do we put them

One of the three MPPT's in its home with it's panel MCB's

Inverter and the three MPPT cabinets

Nealy all the panels when finished

Even the little Lister diesel generator received a new circuit breaker panel, this is also the only earth point for the system apart from the 240V panel at the house.

So by just after lunch we were running on the new inverter and batteries, the solar panels were progressively commissioned as the guys finished the wiring and by mid afternoon the batteries were on float, just goto love it when a plan comes together.

Now to install those bedroom air conditioners for those hot steamy wet season nights.

Allan of the Jungle

wpowokal

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:48:43 AM »
As I seem to have lost the ability to modify already (my doesn't time fly those two hour went by just like two minuets) in the pic of one MPPT with MCB's on the right is the surge diverter for the solar panel wiring, there are two more on the 240V wiring for the inverter output and diesel generator input.

Allan of the jungle

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »
Is your new place very remote and off grid?
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
NICE!!
Whose 2-wheeler? looks similar to a Yamaha 125 Should make for a nice little Sunday outing  ;)
The roof, is that a standing seam steel roof I see there?
Cheers & Congrats.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

wpowokal

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
Boss,
 We are not remote in the true sense of the word as used here in OZ more like a bit out of the way, there is no grid power, everybody has infernal engines and usually a grossly undersized solar system while some higher up the mountains have hydro. We should be able to run off the solar alone depending on use during the wet season (least sun) we chose not to buy on a block that slopes 45 degree despite the hydro potential, the one we are on has about 1M slope much more suitable for old knees.

Link to some info on where we are, Daintree is the oldest rainforest in the world http://www.daintree-rec.com.au/daintree.html
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Daintree,+Cow+Bay,+Queensland&aq=0&sll=-16.275,145.418058&sspn=0.205319,0.363579&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cow+Bay+Queensland&t=f&z=13&ecpose=-16.27654988,145.43022055,15870.46,0.002,19.577,0

The beaches are quite calm as the Great Barrier reef off shore breaks up the big swells, fishing is great although we have not had the opportunity yet, come tomorrow it will be two weeks we have been here so I am still trying to sort things out, we have the essentials like a fridge to keep drinks cold and, well that's the important one.

Bruce,
 The two wheeler belongs to one of the installers, and the roof is sheets of tin, we call it trim deck (as to explain the profile).

Allan in paradise

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
Some of the pictures seem to show some good shade on the panels.  Will you be trimming trees any or are you getting enough exposure already?

Looks b e a u t i f u l !

wpowokal

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 03:34:54 AM »
Zap if you are referring to the pics I called "nearly all the panels" that was late in the day, that said yes it is not ideal exposure and we are nearing our winter equinox after which it only gets better.

And yes there are a few trees that need help falling over, it happens naturally in the jungle just sometimes needs a little help, of course its not permitted but if a back hoe was leaning on a tree and it fell over well clearly it was unsafe anyway, there are at least 5 in that category.

This is a severe cyclone (hurricane) area but our biggest threat is from trees actually falling on a building, thus the natural culling program, oh and I may need to be testing the chain saw at the same time but then that is a necessary task also.

Allan of the Jungle

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:45 AM »
Old man of the jungle;

Det cord works pretty well for quickly and cleanly severing the connection between roots and trunk.

Like here, I suspect it is a bit tough to source such toys these days.

Are you saying you cannot remove trees on your own property?

If so that is an oddity I can't track being used to doing as I please on my property after checking with the boss anyway.

Tom

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 10:59:16 AM »
And yes there are a few trees that need help falling over, it happens naturally in the jungle just sometimes needs a little help,

I just returned from a trip to west Tennessee.  It was amazing to see all the trees lying on the ground from the wind storm in April... everywhere...

Root balls as big a pickups attached to 100 year old hardwoods... odd views for someone used to views of plains interrupted by the occasional cottonwood.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
A of J;
Small question since TomW may come to visit  ;D
Crocs there, are they fair game for hunting eating? or only if a Human life is in danger?
Down in Bayou country gators are pretty good eating. Nope doesn't taste like chicken even though the rib bones are as thin and small-ish as a chickens wing bone.
Just wandering...
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »

Are you saying you cannot remove trees on your own property?

If so that is an oddity I can't track being used to doing as I please on my property after checking with the boss anyway.

I do understand it (the reason).
It is in a protected park.

US example would be colonial Williamsburg.
Plenty of privately owned and occupied homes in the middle of the place.  Imagine if they decided to cut down all the trees and put up a dome-top 1950 surplus tin Army barracks?

What I do not understand is how neighborhoods can dictate window curtain choices in some areas!
G_
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Rover

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
It gets worse , in the US if you iive any where near a wetland. (I'm in VA, but not in Wiliamsburgh), but I live next to swamp. If I cut down any tree within 100 ft of the marsh (as decided by marsh grass or reeds), I could be looking at 10,000$ in fines per incident.  (some localaties, that rises up to 500 ft away).  And this not only includes trees, but also lower brush , holly bushes etc.

There are exclusions for trees risking housing, dying trees etc. And it's a cascade... you have to worry about the Feds, the State and the local gov, all have their say and varying legislation.

Sorry I knoew this got off topic. Just cheezes me off sometimes.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

dave ames

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »

Looking good Allan,

That is truly god's country! cans (Cairns) is one of my favorite places in the world..stayed a month there on the '93 world tour. absolutely lovely!

Send a greetings to the mob at Dunwoody's and my blessings to the law breaking goddesses at Holloways beach.. ;)

I found that cockney rhyming slang a bit difficult for an American ear but good fun!

cheers, dave

wpowokal

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
We live in a world heritage listed national park, removal of trees or any vegetation is not technically permitted but if I decide it is a safety hazard it may fall over, trees do that naturally in a rainforest, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wild crocodiless are protected and would only be shot by an approved person as a last resort, generally they relocate them when they come into town areas, they have been hunted in Australia in the past to the point of almost extinction. There are croc farms where they are raised for their meat&skin.

Here is a link to a map of this park http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/services_resources/item_details.php?item_id=201825  we live near the airstrip symbol, just south of Hutchinson Creek.

The coastline and mountains here are spectacular I took some grandies to Cairns airport yesterday and the view from just north of Cairns towards the tallest mountain which is near us was spectacular, just the right lighting but alas Allan did not take his camera, I will try and find time( I still have half a trench to fill in and the DG to adjust the speed so the inverter can synchronize to it if I need to boost the batteries) to go to a lookout halfway through the mountain today and get some pics.

Allan of the jungle

wpowokal

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »
OK a bit of a plug for our area
Our nearest beach

Cow Bay beach looking north

Cow Bay beach looking south

Fresh water creek entering the ocean

Warning

Local pub

Looking south to Port Douglas where the reef tour boats leave from, look below the mountains in the background and there is a smaller hill it's there.

Mouth of the Daintree river, thats the one we cross on a ferry to get here.

Thornton peak, we live in the SE lee of this

And that's my 10 pic limit, oh and the batteries are on float, somewhere in those pics I had one of the local mobile phone tower and it's array of solar panels but I guess that was #11
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:46:33 PM by wpowokal »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »
I swear, the eyesores some people will put up with...   ::)
I don't know how you can stand it.
Didn't you say it's like winter or something? 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

wpowokal

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »
Southern Hemisphere winter yes but our dry season, I just looked at the weather and nothing but clear blue sky's and sunshine all the way, 28 Deg C outside, not quite sure how much of this i can take. ;D

Allan of the jungle

ruddycrazy

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 03:30:08 AM »
Well Tarzan looks like ya made it up there so whats next re-naming blondie to Jane??????? Anyway that pic of the warning did bring a good laugh as it is common knowledge the croc's just luv German terryrists for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Gotta say if we can ever get a holiday in we'll have to come up there and dwink a few slabs of good ol' Boags Premuim as the only thing qld beer is good for is cleaning old coins and only if ya desperate.

Cheers Bryan

wpowokal

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 03:59:33 AM »
Yo Bryan I am not sure if crow eaters are allowed across the boarder, us Queenslander's are a bit more discerning than that, not sure that the local has XXXX on tap signs seem to say Vic bitter, you would be in a better position if you came bearing scotch, and blonds real name is Jo-Anne near enough to Jane.

Actually I could not see you and yours ever leaving that dry barren part of SA, don't forget it actually rains up here, a creek at the front think cool clear water on a hot day or after shoveling in a few meters of trench, dam I did not get any done today. ::)

Allan of the jungle

David HK

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »
That crocodile sign confuses me.

Does it mean that if I walk past it and head into the green forest area I could become breakfast for a croc?

Or does it mean that if I take a dip on the oggin I could equally be breakfast for an ocean going croc?

I once went to a crocodile farm on the outskirts of Bangkok in 1972. There were pedestrian walkways just over the crocs swimming area. The crocodiles were monsters and I am sure they could have eaten me in one gulp.

Nasty things they are

David in Hong Kong

ruddycrazy

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 06:20:33 AM »
Well when I used to live up in the pilbara we used to go fishing on a sand bank about 1k off shore. One hot summers day we were catching small sharks upto about 1 metre long and there would of been about 30 terryrists swimming in the open ocean. Next thing a huge fin came out of the water about 10 metres away from the swimmers and my mate said eh thats that 20' tiger shark we see sometimes at work when we're on the ore loader. One terryrist heard him and shouted out shark and man was it fun watching all those terryrists trying to run on water. I wouldn't call the pilbara paradise but man the good ol' cyclone parties were fun and some of the best fishing I've ever done.

Cheers Bryan

wpowokal

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 06:52:46 AM »
David when one walks past the sign you move onto the beach see pics, during daylight hours no problems, crocs inhabit areas such as mangrove covered inlets, they are shy, being on that or any beach in daylight hours is quite safe. There are tour operators who specialize in trying to find crocs in the wild to show tourists.

One has more chance of being run down by a Bondi tram than being taken by a croc as long as one acts responsibly, remember this is a tourist area and tourists are well tourists.

Allan of the jungle who always has a backup plan, take blonde and the dogs, which puts Allan fifth in line.

richhagen

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »
Your system looks beautiful.  I am a bit jealous of all those panels.  I'm actually flying from Chicago to Sydney next week with my son, I will get there on Friday.  I am visiting BThumble up by Canberra, and if I can get a hold of her and she is around, Amanda as well.   I helped Ben on a project in the past, and Commanda helped out on that as well.  A bit of a vacation, although as usual I am working like crazy up until I depart, so my planning has been a bit last minute.  This may be my last vacation for a while, so hopefully it will be fun as well as educational for the kid, as all to soon it will be back to a seemingly insurmountable pile of tasks back home.  At any rate I hope your new diggs and installation serve you well.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

rossw

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »
I am visiting BThumble up by Canberra, and if I can get a hold of her and she is around, Amanda as well.

Pack your winter woolies. Canberra is just 3hrs north of me - and they've been having -3 to -5 overnight of late!

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »
I want one of those croc warning signs for my driveway. Do they make a version with a tourista in its jaws?  ??? ::) ;D

Have you named the new place yet? Homes respond well to being given a formal name

Tom