Author Topic: Wire Size (guage)?  (Read 2341 times)

artv

Wire Size (guage)?
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
Hi All,...I was curious about making wire connections on test coils......If you have a certian gauge wire for the test coil ,and use a smaller guage wire ,to connect the test coil to the bridge, say 16"s long ,half the guage of the coil,....Will this give inaccurate readings ??......Since the smaller connection wire will introduce more resistance???
Maybe I should use heavier wire for the connection wire,... than what the test coil is??....
Also does stranded wire ,and solid wire make a difference???..........tahnks ..........artv

artv

Re: Wire Size (guage)?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Hi All ,...Does the aliminum wire have more ability to allow electron flow ??,....I tried different types of copper and ( I think is AL) wire , and the AL seems to be better......Is AL weaker than copper though (heat wise)???.......melts easier ,with a torch,lol....artv

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
Copper is a better conductor. Aluminum is cheaper and lighter. They pretty much banned Aluminum in wiring homes here long ago as it has "issues" with connections that caused fires.

All big transmission lines are aluminum I believe probably due to weight and cost. I use Aluminum Triplex to feed from my turbines to my batteries.

Silver is even better as a conductor. Gold is much better.

Simply put.

Tom

Rover

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
Tom , you have any surplus hanging around... I need some 8 gauge gold (stranded) .... duplex would be nice :)
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

artv

Re: Wire Size (guage)?(coatings)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
Thanks TomW......I salvaged wire out of an old oven and used it for my connection
It looks like aluninum ( I'm sure it is).......
My question is does this wire have any kind of special coating on it........that can be burnt off (arcing) due to a bad connection???
 ???....artv

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »
What exactly is your connection ?
Wirenut
Terminal strip
Wires twisted together
Butt Splice . . .

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
Silver is actualy the better conducter! gold only seems to be by the fact it is less pron to oxidise unlike silver which is severaly succeptable to sulfating (The black tarnish)

Interesting electrochemical way to polish silver is simple Baking soda and an aluminium pot with water, mix all into the pot and boil, I sujest do it out side as the stench of sulfur will be very strong!

Sorry for the OFF TOPIC but had to state that!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

artv

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »
Hi Woofer ,....It's not really a connection ,...It's more like make contact ,..break contact ...
But the timing is crucial.......Timing=max output.....I haven't figured out when to do the make break at exactly the right time yet ,..
but I hope I will.....very little time right now as work is crazy.......artv