Author Topic: 12v Blanket  (Read 2695 times)

mettleramiel

12v Blanket
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
I have a client with an electric powerchair. He has muscular dystrophy and because of this, she can not move most of her body, but she has still has feeling. Riding around in the winter without moving her body at all, she get very cold. I would like to get her an electric blanket that plugs into the chair. 24v DC comes off of the chair. Getting a 12v blanket is easy, but I can't seem to find a 24v to 12v converter for less than $60. She is on disability making this a little costly for her. Is there a cheaper or easier way to bring the voltage down to 12, maybe a resistor or something?

dinges

Re: 12v Blanket
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »
How much current does this blanket draw (Ampères); or alternatively, how much power does it need (Watts)? And how large are the batteries? (voltage and Ahr)

That'd be important information in suggesting solutions. You could use a resistor, but that would waste half the power from the batteries as heat... and not heat where you want it, i.e. in the blanket. Instead of resistors, you might also use a few lightbulbs... but again, the power would be wasted.

You could use a PWM-type of circuit, something like a TL494 to pulse power so that the blanket sees the correct amount of power (25% on 24V, 75% off, etc.) Might even be as simple as a NE555 with 25% duty cycle and a big FET.

Or you could tap 12V from the batteries; most likely there are two 12V batteries; you could decide to asymmetrically load it, i.e. power it from one battery. Not ideal, but a quick and simple solution. Again, depends on how much power the blanket draws (and how long it's turned on) in relation to the total power consumption of the chair. You might even add a switch to move load from one battery to the other one after a while, so they see more-or-less equal loading.

Or you could try to find a 24V blanket.

Or.... (insert one of plenty of other solutions I forgot to think about)

In my opinion, the most elegant solution would be a small 24V->12V DC-DC PWM converter (NOT a linear regulator; that would waste the excess voltage as heat), using PWM driving a FET. Should be efficient, effective, cheap, relatively simple (though it involves some electronics) and reliable. Such a thing should be not too hard to find in a truck store; truckers have to deal often with wanting to power 12V gadgets from the 24V truck supply. But before you shop for that, you'd need to know how much current the blanket draws.

Oh, just remembered: I once took a small Peltier-fridge/cooling box apart. It could operate on both 12V and 24V. It used a very simple board to convert the 24Vdc to 12Vdc (switchmode, not linear regulation); IIRC, it could supply 4-5A even, which I thought was impressive.

But if you're not good with electronics, and the solution may not cost much, and the load of the blanket is relatively small, then  you could try powering the blanket off one (12V) battery.

Edit: or you could get two 12V blankets and wire them in series so they could be supplied from the 24V from the battery. That'd mean all heat would end up where you want it. But it may be too much heat - hard for me to tell, sitting behind a computer screen at the other side of the world....

I'm also reasonably sure that your client isn't the first one to experience that problem. So instead of trying to re-invent a wheel, you might want to try to find out how that problem is usually dealt with by people with that same problem; maybe there's already a very good solution for your exact problem out there....

Edit3: the advantage of a PWM solution would also be that you could make the heating adjustable (in case there isn't a way of adjusting this already on the blanket); by varying pulse-width from 0% to 25%, you could adjust the amount of heat the blanket generates from 0% to 100% of rated power.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:04:17 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
Ebay has...... DC -DC HRD Converter DC 24v 36v 48v step down to 12v 3A ....for less than $5 shipped to you.  3A may be enough.  A 30A version can be had for $8.  Uou would be hard pressed to build on for these prices.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »
you could use a motor speed control to adjust the heat

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:36:21 AM »
Or - if the blankets doesn't use too much power; buy 2 blankets and connect them in series. :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

REdiculous

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
12v taps off the battery would be the best solution, imo, since you can probably take them to a regular cigarette lighter socket and plug the blanket (/other) right in. I would do it as a permanent install and make it nice.

There's no need for PWM or a DC-DC converter or any of that. It's got 12v batteries, for sure, so tap them.
☣☠☢

mettleramiel

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
12v taps off the battery would be the best solution, imo, since you can probably take them to a regular cigarette lighter socket and plug the blanket (/other) right in. I would do it as a permanent install and make it nice.

There's no need for PWM or a DC-DC converter or any of that. It's got 12v batteries, for sure, so tap them.

No way. Tapping would be a terrible idea. The blanket draws about 5 amps, that will unbalance the batteries incredibly fast.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »
Two blankets in series will still use those 5A then... So if you're willing to sacrifice 5Ah during a trip; that's the simplest solution. You might want to try to find some smaller blankets that draws less?
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Rover

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
I'd go for something like the 30A step down converter that Operahouse suggested, it also provides for using other 12V equipment at a later date.

I can't imagine any blanket drawing less than 5A at 12V ~ 60W providing any kind of decent heat, and that is the whole point. I'm actually amazed it only draws 5A.

Rover
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>