Author Topic: Tower Stub for 4kw Unit?  (Read 2115 times)

afgatrost

Tower Stub for 4kw Unit?
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
I have a chance to purchase a ~4kw unit (15 ft dia) wind turbine that was made in the 80's at Aberdeen S.D.  It has never been on a tower and comes with blades, tail and generator and hub.  But the tower connection and slip rings were scraped out.  Are these going to be difficult pieces to buy or fabricate?   Are there other old tower stubs that are available that would work?  If you have any thoughts he has to sell by Friday or he is having to scrape this part out for bills.  :(

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Tower Stub for 4kw Unit?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Stub is just some welding, slip rings can be found on ebay and the internet in general. If the price is right snag it. Keep in mind it is going to need a stout tower.

afgatrost

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »
Thank you for your response.  Also my tower has to be over 100 feet.  :(  I did find out some information on it.  It was a Dakota Wind in Sun  built only between late 70's and early 80's.  I contacted a man familiar with a lot of wind turbines and he said it would be hard to get it going and keep it going.  I guess it wasn't reliable, which I suppose is why the unit only was built a few years.  If  any one is interested, he was going to sell it to me for $2500 + ship.  By Friday he has to do something with it.  It had a 15 dia rotor, 200VDAC, and it appeared to be a 4KW.  Its brand new and appears to be a stout unit at around 700 lbs.  But I am not adventuresome to try to get it going and keep it running. :-\  Remember no yawing mechanism or slip rings.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »
Location will help people decide, maybe list it in the for sale section (or a moderator could maybe move it).

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
If it was your stub for-sale, I would not have a problem moving this to the classified section.
BUT.... ;) . It would be best to just let it go
Sorry
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Sybersimpy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:51:34 AM »
I would suggest, throw the whole middle bearing out and replace it with a 1.5tonn rated trailer stub axle which cost about 50 bucks if u hunt around. Out with old and in with the new :)