Author Topic: 1 phase axial minigen  (Read 3287 times)

juisii

1 phase axial minigen
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »
Hello !

It's been really interesting to browse these topics and get ideas from your ideas...

Now i have a small "project" where "non-compliant" ;) parts are fitted together and trying to see what is the output :)

Anyhow, i have 20 pc of small nd magnets and about 4 inch steel plates  that will become two rotor, 10 pole, single phase gen. I have wound 10 pc of coils that has 60 turns of wire that awg i just dont remember, but the magnet spacing should be about magnet height with that wire..

Attached a sizing picture of what  is the situation.

The problem is that the magnets are a bit too narrow so that the two coils would be covered by the same magnet, and  so the one coil will not get magnet on "both legs".

Would it be totally ridiculous idea to turn the magnets "sideways" so that all the magnets would cover more of the coils ? or should i overlap the coil legs so that one magnet covers both ? That would ofcourse make the stator thicker...

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: 1 phase axial minigen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:50:53 AM »
the coils are already formed?
better to double the number of magnets.
or use larger magnets.

juisii

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
Yes, I have formed the coils, altough it's possible to wind new ones. But. If would have made them thinner the gap would be rised.... And yes, I could buy bigger magnets, but thats not the idea this time. Next time i'll do the "officially approved" 12 pole 3 phase machine from a wheel hub :) But now tinkering with pieces that are in hand.   If I see the situation right, the most (Not to mention small scale and single phase ;) biggest problem is that the magnet are just too small compared to the rotor size...

But about your suggestion, that the magnet amount should be doubled , what would be the effect if the the other rotor would hold 20 magnets and the other disc would be just for completing the flux circle ? 

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
Not the best arrangement with round coils and rectangular magnets but the first drawing looks ok, nothing wrong with turning the magnets round that way.

The second one would work better as suggested with two magnets for each pole but I suspect you would rather keep the magnets as they are rather than buy more.

My suggestion as this is only an experiment would be to mount the magnets as in the first drawing and see what you get. Unless you can alter the speed it is unlikely that your coils will be anything near ideal but you can deduce the number of turns you need from a ratio off the existing coils. If you decide to wind new ones I would keep them rectangular and cut down a lot of extra resistance.

Flux

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:24:25 AM »
 I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about what you want to build  or the money that gets tossed around your projects It kinda messes with the process . My older devices come off the shelf and in some cases get a new look . 
  The Two fundamentals are  : AC is a wave of reversing B field so create the best geometric regularities for the best power function .
   The other is : the coil charging of this coil orientation is planer left to right or right to left rotation where opposite poles move the field by
  raking the coil legs at the same time .

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
yes, an unlimited budget for experimenting is always the best style.
otherwise  like myself, you end up with a museum of less than ideal alternators sitting on shelves gathering dust.
 better to push each of your creations  outside and  make them spin.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
the  idea of placing all twenty of your magnets side by side on one rotor and simply running the second rotor as a flux return path would make much better use of the copper coils you have already formed .
it also gives you the option to add more magnets at a later date.

some thing i realized from working on a strict budget and trying to use what i already had,
was that the second rotor could have magnets that were different in characteristics than the first set.
you can use ceramic and neo
you can use harddrive mags and store bought mags
and the mags one one rotor don't even have to be the same thickness as the other rotor.

gww

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
electrondaddy
I'm going to remember your last post when my turbines start to fail,  magnets rust.  Them old microwave magnet may still come in handy.
thanks
gww

finnsawyer

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:01:12 PM »
     A coil moving off a negative pole gets the same polarity kick as when it moves onto a positive pole, so in your first diagram each coil gets a double whammy.  Problem is, alternate coils get opposite whamies, if they are all oriented the same way.  So, be carefull how you connect the coils up.
     Yes, I know the magnets are really moving, but the motion is relative.  It helps if you can flip it in your mind. 8)

juisii

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »

Thank you for good advices and tips.

After thinking a bit more, the magnet sizing and available parts have led me to 20 pole, magnets on one rotor (at this moment -> about 20 usd and the mail man will bring me 20 more :), 15 coil, 3 phase setup, with 60 turns on each coil. The coil shape is now triangular/oblong, with center hole about magnet size. Now the stator schematics looks more "efficient".  The "main" problem now is that i just checked and saw that the wire is awg 26 or 27, so i could think that the power output in any case will be quite limited...

Going to cast the stator in next days see what i end up with :)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
just wait,
no time at all and you'll be completely hooked,
 just like the rest of us.

you'll sink into the real wacky part, were you start seeing potential, alternators in almost every thing.