Product Reviews > Reviews

BZ 500MPPT assembly issues

<< < (3/4) > >>

dnix71:
Here are the pics

OperaHouse:
Good picture.  The three large electrolytics appear to be on the panel side.  I wouldn't expect much change id another cap was paralleled on the input side unless these had developed a high ESR over the years.  The small cap appears to be on the output with the expectation that the battery would take most of the surge.  The large coil would normally have three or four parallel windings for practical reasons in order to handle the current.  The coil next to it is the switching regulator for the microprocessor power.  ust curious what that white thing with the green stripes.  Probably just a production tag.  It made me think of a product where they put a resistor on top of the micro to heat it up just to qualify it for low temperature operation.  Looks like 3 FET to do the comversion and two tabbed dioded.  I would guess that the relay is used to disconnect panels at night.  Again a regulator and coil to power the relay over a wide voltage range.

dnix71:
The green and white thing is a paper tag on a chip. Years ago BZ offered a firmware upgrade in the form of a chip replacement. I was never offered that so I probably have the latest version.

There are four power FETs. 2 up and 2 down. Those are isolated from the box with a plastic shim under the heat sink and the screws are plastic. The fifth FET (the one at the bottom) is a voltage regulator that supplies some components on the board.
There are plastic standoffs on a couple of the FET legs to guarantee no shorts.

There are 3 winding on the big coil.

Now that I've added solder to the back side I'm getting a much better charge during the day, even today when I came home it was 13.0 and it was overcast and had rained as a cool front passed.

captainward:
I have one of these bz 500 my only complaint is the float light won't come on seems to keep all the batterys charged properly up to about 13 volts. but when it gets the batts up to full charge no red led light????
                 anyone know how to fix the red light issue??  Thanks for l@@king.

dnix71:
CaptainWard 13 volts is not a full charge. Somewhere around 14 to 15 is. Either your BZ has failed or you don't have it wired correctly. I would contact BZ first. They were nice to me about fixing issues. If the controller has gone bad they might give you a partial credit on a replacement in exchange for the old one if you ask nice.

My two BZ's (a 250 and a 500HV still work well in daily use).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version