Author Topic: Charging Frequency  (Read 8663 times)

adaml

Charging Frequency
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
Dear All,
I was given some fancy solar charge controller and display unit.  I have 320W of mono panels charging a 12V 300Ahr SLA bank.  One of the settings on the controller is for charging frequency, settings being 25, 50 and 100Hz.  I have no idea what this is all about nor which one to select.  Is anyone able to advise or explain please?
Many thanks.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Charging Frequency
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »
Lower frequencies may induce less noise in sensitive equipment such as telecoms and radio gear, though I think much modern kit (such as my Morningstar) uses higher frequencies (maybe 300Hz in my stuff's case), possibly to allow smaller components and give finer control.

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:17:31 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »
Check the power factors between the solar array and the battery bank at different frequency s . You can post some documentation on your equipment if you like .  This is basically a pwm that pulses the accumulated voltage your solar array can post to a capacitor set in the controller . The result is like setting the amount of power the array can through put the batteries . Read the documentation or pull it down from the net I'm sure there's procedure in the docs 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »
Lucky you!
If you're new to the idea of PWM then maybe it's not obvious.
PWM = pulse width modulation.
Basically, adjusting the time "on" and "off" of a series of pulses, to change the average.

The solar charge controller monitors battery charge and regulates the current from the solar cells if there's too much.  As long as the batteries are accepting full PV current without going over-voltage then the charge controller doesn't have to do much.  When the voltage does come up to a specified level (say, abut 14.0V for a sealed lead-acid battery), then the charge controller will reduce the current flowing to the batteries.  It does this by shutting off the PV current for a fraction of a second, then back on again, off, on, off and so on.  If it pulses on half the time and off half the time, then the average current that flows is 1/2 of what it would be if the PV was hooked up straight to the battery.  This is good, because by regulating down to 1/2 the current, the PV will not over-charge the battery, now that it's mostly charged, and the process of bulk charging or float charging can go on under control.  So, on a day with full sun, straight on the panels, the current could be 100% if the charge controller detects that the battery is discharged, or 5% if it detects that the battery is full.

How often pulses on or off is what's determined by the frequency switch.  Your CC can pulse at 25/50/100 Hz; select whatever suits you; if you hear static on the kitchen radio, try a different setting.  The charge regulation will happen no matter what frequency is set.  On a Tristar, the PWM can be shut off entirely, but that's not recommended.  They suggest you try other noise suppression devices before hampering the operation of the charge controller.

Were your benefactors able to provide you with a user's / installation manual?  I found it extremely helpful in tuning it just right (and avoiding mistakes) when setting up the Tristar I got a few years ago.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca