Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

Water to pump water for irrigation

<< < (2/4) > >>

joestue:
https://lurkertech.com/water/pump/tailer/

if you tilt the whole thing at an angle there is no rotary union required, provided you can support the pipe long enough to get the hight you need, then dump the water into a bucket and gravity feed to where you want it.

it looks like practically you can get 41% efficiency from these types of pumps. that's better than an 80% efficient permanent magnet generator feeding a 60% efficient induction motor, feeding a 60% efficient centrifugal pump.

DenverDave:

--- Quote from: joestue on August 12, 2018, 04:23:19 PM ---if you tilt the whole thing at an angle there is no rotary union required, provided you can support the pipe long enough to get the hight you need, then dump the water into a bucket and gravity feed to where you want it.

it looks like practically you can get 41% efficiency from these types of pumps. that's better than an 80% efficient permanent magnet generator feeding a 60% efficient induction motor, feeding a 60% efficient centrifugal pump.

--- End quote ---

We have a linked youtube video by Pross Taylor from the facebook group that does just this.   A 5 gallon bucket with horizontal coils and plastic buckets accepting an overshot stream.   A bit of an odd contraption, but seems to work for him and as I'm sure he realizes, could be optimized in several ways.    As you described, he has the wheel tilted at an angle with the exit pipe going up a hill to a point where he collects the output water.   Strangely, seems to work well for him and if he can gain the height quickly and have gravity fed distribution why not.    It would be interesting to know the friction difference between his approach and a coupling (whole discussion on couplings needed).  Obviously if the application required the water to be pumped very far or high, this might not work.     I'm disappointed he hasn't come out with a 2018 version.

skid:

--- Quote from: DenverDave on August 12, 2018, 03:46:09 PM ---On the rotary coupling, amazing how little is said, however, a getting some information.  One person used some waterproof bearing (I guess there are such a thing) and fixed them in a plastic pipe by heating it.    A couple have used quick  connect garden hose couplings - not sure of the friction and would be limited diameter flow through, but let's hope we have enough volume of pumped water to be an issue.  :)

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I should have said rotary union not coupling. There are all kinds of rotary unions for sale. Just Google rotary unions...

Sir Veyor:

--- Quote from: DenverDave on August 12, 2018, 03:31:56 PM ---Thanks Sir Veyor - your post turned out to be a very good lead and google docs does seem to be working for Peter Jacobs to document his project.   He mentioned he would be interested as serving as a clearing house for people interested - I sent him a facebook group invite and I'll follow-up with him during business hours.

He has a nice document with good information - thanks.

How did you manage to find the Malawican project?

--- End quote ---

From a spot called “No Tech Magazine”. It's a good jumping off spot for lots of things and have multiple follow ups and random links to other articles they have.

It's where I found an inexpensive, low cost, small scale Compressed air system I might try to make using fire extinguishers or other tanks that aren't either worth hydro testing or failed the testing but are still sound. But the principal paper that details the system is an academic project behind a pay site or something. But that lead me to “greatballofirel username who was building a system. That led me here. But I can't seem to find that build yet. This site uses an interface I'm not that familiar with, so my searching isn't that great here yet.

Adriaan Kragten:
In my public report KD 598, I describe a floating water turbine with the PM-generator of a windmill which is meant to charge a 12 V battery (see my website: www.kdwindturbines.nl at the menu KD-reports). In stead of a battery one can use a 12 V diaphragm pump of for instance manufacture Shurflo. However, the amount of water supplied by such a pump will be enough for drinking water but too low for irrigation. A disadvantage of the electrical transmission in between the PM-generator and the DC pump motor is the power loss due to the efficiency of the generator and the pump motor. An advantage is that a large accelerating gearing is gained, so the pump can be small for a certain flow. Another advantage is that the generated electrical power can be used for other purposes than water pumping. May be this principle can be used if a larger water turbine and a larger pump is used.

The efficiency loss can be prevented if the pump is directly driven by the water turbine. However, the water turbine will have a rather low rotational speed and therefore one must use a positive displacement pump as such a pump supplies water at low rotational speeds. But a positive displacement pump has about a constant torque and this requires a water turbine with a high starting torque coefficient. In my report KD 542, I describe a diaphragm pump with three diaphragms. This pump has almost a constant torque and flow. The little fluctuation in the flow can be flattened by using a flexible hose for the first part of the pipe to the reservoir. In my report KD 651, I describe the 4-bladed VIRYA-3.6L2 windmill rotor which has a high starting torque coefficient. Assume that you scale down this rotor up to a diameter of 1.8 m and that you use this rotor as water turbine (you have to check the strength of the rotor for use in water). I estimate that the river isn't deep enough to submerse the rotor completely. Assume that the rotor is submersed half. So half the rotor area is effective. I expect that the given diaphragm pump is too small for direct drive but it can be coupled to the water turbine by an accelerating gearing using a tooth belt. For direct drive it will be necessary to make the pump much bigger.

I can make some calculations for this option in a new public KD-report but therefore I must know the water speed, the depth of the river, the height in between the river and the upper part of the reservoir, the distance of the reservoir and the river and the wanted water flow per day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version