Author Topic: Recovering magnet wires?!?  (Read 674 times)

GreenTeam

Recovering magnet wires?!?
« on: December 10, 2020, 06:37:03 AM »
Alot of my magnet wires I try to use are mostly recovered from tearing down discarded goodies. Like the last batch I got some nice red 0.4mm wire from a vacuum I found beside the trash can in my building hallway. I'm still waiting to discover old crt style tv and monitors for the wires. Some of my favorites has been from little portable heater motors and fan motors. But, lately I've been in a drought and had very little luck finding any machines that I can tear down.....so with that , I have a few stator that won't be spun ever again. My earlier attempts, either the coil alignment looks as though alignment was an afterthought.🙄 Others were just to thick, others ....you get the point. Luckily for me , they were all just little teensy 6 coil ones. But, the issue is, I'm in a magnet wire drought and am down to having to tear apart some more hoverboard motors, but that yields me only 0.5mm wires. And I want thinner ones. Sooo,with that in mind, I do have two previous stators that were built as learning. And since they full filled their purpose, is it possible for me to somehow tear it down and recover the wires inside? One was built with actually a brand new bought 0.33mm. Is it something that can be done ? Or is it just trash now? And if it is done , how do I go about breaking through the epoxy resin and pull the coils out? Would the wire that is facing the epoxy resin lose their insul layers? So .....any ideas? Or am I being to thrifty?!

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Recovering magnet wires?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 07:30:48 AM »
Its something i have been contemplating as well. I have a few single phase stator's I've constructed over the years I'd like to pull the copper out and reuse it . test the adhesion your epoxy resin has to the coating on the mag wire. i'm thinking of just using a hammer to see if i can crack the resin up enough to pull the coil free.

GreenTeam

Re: Recovering magnet wires?!?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 08:51:50 AM »
Yes, one of my learning/test stators was constructed more or less just to get an idea of where I need to concentrate upon for craftspersonship.
And strangely as it seems, my earliest stator builds, the resin came out hard as a rock literally. And every generation, the resin got a little bit more like
taffy with every generation. So, I think that the wire that is facing the resin will be history. I suspect that I can or will be able to reuse the wire on the inside
of the coils. Even if this is so, its a fair bit of wire. I just dont have any idea of how to go about this. I dont see a knife going through this. I can bend it until it breaks up,
but than I risk tearing up the wires. Hmmm, just had an Idea, maybe if the resin is really old and set hard, it MIGHT fracture like glass if its wapped super duper hard with a hammer?
I dont know, I just am so cheao that I really dislike the idea of chucking it out lol. Well, considering that I am throwing it out already, wont hurt to attempt to recover some.
Ill give it a shot today, and ill let you know how I did and how I did it. Coz, I dont think cutting it apart with power tools is a solution, or bending it.