Author Topic: Light Wind Heavy Weight Turbine Project - as I build it.  (Read 175034 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Light Wind Heavy Weight Turbine Project - as I build it.
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »
Well it looks good anyway Fab. How did you bend the ring.

JW

I rolled it in a pinch roller at work.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
Hi Fab.

Thats a masterclass machine . I see it for the first time.
Pneumatic brake . Altough you dont use it because of good furling adjust.
Battery bank 24 and 12 volt .
What is the propeller diam ? And tower height ?

Regards - Frans -

It is based on the Dans 17' machine, right now it's stuck on a 25 foot tower because of a bureaucratic nightmare.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

just-doug

« Reply #464 on: July 20, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
that meter is easy to wire up and troubleshoot.just have to know how it funtions to trouble shoot it.so i will try to explane it as i understand it.the negitive(black)is used for current carrying and amp reading.the positve(red) is used for voltage reading and may be used for current carrying.volts times amps gives power in watts.u have to have both to get power calculations.in the meter ,the red wire runs straight threw and is tapped for volt reading.both ways that have been shown here will work.the way fab has stated a preferance for just seperates the volt seneing funtion from the current carrying funtion. when you had the meter wired straight threw and the meter died when the wind turbined died,suggest that there is a bad connection between the out of the meter and the battery.that connection should have keep the meter alive.additionly,check that your meter voltage and system volts are simular,or you have a volt reading problem.volts to red source or load should give volts on the meter.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #465 on: July 20, 2012, 09:48:25 PM »
And BTW, 24.44 is pretty low, something like 27 would be a lot better in the float stage.

Steadfast

« Reply #466 on: July 23, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
Fab's new Doc wattson wiring does work,
but it only begins recording at "Cut in"...

I was there when the wind turbine briefly hit around 200 rpm..
and I actually watched live, as .2 watts went  into the battery for around 2 seconds...
and the WPM actually displayed ".2" after that...

Does that sound right????

It takes quite a bit of summer wind to finally get the heavy turbine moving. I am thinking it might be time to start building the Light turbine with those falcon blades and the robo-moter....

maybe the lighter bird will more responsive and cut in more often...?
By Hook or by Crook - Prayer, Persistence and Tenacity will win the day!

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
no need for all that........ just build a new stator with a few more turns per coil..
WILD in ALASKA

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #468 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
It might be a good idea to start just that.
I'm not certain how well those blades will be able to harvest as I've not seen anything with them that worked at all very well.
BUT your setup may work, we'll just need to try it and find out.
Cheers;
Bruce

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

windvision

« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
Steadfast:

So you have made .2 watts for 2 seconds. Is this the total amount since it has been up? How many watts have your solar panels made in the same time frame? Just wanting to compare for myself which is more practical based on real numbers output, hours of work input, initial cost, ect. Thanks.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #470 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:22 PM »
You have had this preconceived notion through out this entire thread that somehow a lighter turbine will make power where a heavier turbine won't.
That is absolutely wrong, sure you can take a kids pinwheel and puff a breath on it and it will turn where that breath will not even budge a twelve foot machine, but neither one will make any usable power either.
You have to get that whole idea out of your head, my seventeen foot machine will be turning when you can't even feel a breeze, but it's not making power, if I had a 2 foot machine that weighed 16 ounces it would be turning also but it would not be making any usable power either.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2012, 04:22:18 PM »
Fab's new Doc wattson wiring does work,
but it only begins recording at "Cut in"...

I was there when the wind turbine briefly hit around 200 rpm..
and I actually watched live, as .2 watts went  into the battery for around 2 seconds...
and the WPM actually displayed ".2" after that...

Does that sound right????

It takes quite a bit of summer wind to finally get the heavy turbine moving. I am thinking it might be time to start building the Light turbine with those falcon blades and the robo-moter....

maybe the lighter bird will more responsive and cut in more often...?

But the bottom left continues alternate between wP Ap and kWh, and the bottom right continues to show battery state of charge continuously right?

Royalwdg

« Reply #472 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
Fabricator is right. Just because a turbine is small does not mean it will work well in light winds. My 20 foot machine goes around sometimes when my anemometer is not turning. You can't get power from a very light wind if none is available. And Steadfast, when you start feeding us some performance data please include wind speed, rpm, voltage and wattage so we can see the whole picture. If the wind is low and your output relates to your wind speed correctly then we can see what is going on. Can't really comment on half of the factors.  Dave M

Steadfast

« Reply #473 on: July 24, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »

But the bottom left continues alternate between wP Ap and kWh, and the bottom right continues to show battery state of charge continuously right?

yup....

Steadfast

« Reply #474 on: July 24, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
You have had this preconceived notion throughout this entire thread that somehow a lighter turbine will make power where a heavier turbine won't.
That is absolutely wrong, sure you can take a kids pinwheel and puff a breath on it and it will turn where that breath will not even budge a twelve foot machine, but neither one will make any usable power either.
You have to get that whole idea out of your head, my seventeen foot machine will be turning when you can't even feel a breeze, but it's not making power, if I had a 2 foot machine that weighed 16 ounces it would be turning also but it would not be making any usable power either.

I hear ya...
I just hate the dog-days of summer....  >:(

Its like finally installing a water turbine in a usually moving stream,
that dries up the next day, in its yearly drought...

sucks big time...

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #475 on: July 24, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Still,,, it wouldn't hurt to get the other unit ready to go.
Will help keep the anxious-ness away.
Since the 100+ has driven all the humidity away here, I'm working on a nice little swamp cooler.
I have left over cooling/heating stuff from old Suburban, along with it's fans and 1/2 dozen different sized muffins fans.
My basement stays in the low 70s year round, I'd thought NOW would be a good time to run some water lines from a storage tub up through the cooling fins and let gravity feed water back down to tub. Condensation is biggest worry, but an old Coleman cooler with drain tube fed into a 18quart holder will give me spare water for inside plants.
It's just too darn hot! until night to work on solar panels!!

Steadfast

« Reply #476 on: July 24, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
building the Lbird IS GOING TO HAPPEN...
the real question is: WHEN?

The "Honey do" list is vast and wide!   :'(

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
Ahh-yes- time to catch up on that!

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #478 on: July 24, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
You have had this preconceived notion throughout this entire thread that somehow a lighter turbine will make power where a heavier turbine won't.

I hear ya...
I just hate the dog-days of summer....  >:(

Its like finally installing a water turbine in a usually moving stream,
that dries up the next day, in its yearly drought...

sucks big time...

I don't remember if anyone told you in this epic but, that is the way the gods of wind work, after you work your a$$ off to get a turbine flying the wind quits blowing for at least three weeks.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #479 on: July 25, 2012, 01:30:31 AM »

I don't remember if anyone told you in this epic but, that is the way the gods of wind work, after you work your a$$ off to get a turbine flying the wind quits blowing for at least three weeks.

And no one has come up with an effective appeasement sacrifice, unless it's your solar controller

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Steadfast

« Reply #480 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
hmmm....
Did Americain Indians ever come up with a wind dance?  :o

I fiquire, once I add the perminantly installed backup solar panels on the roof of my shed,
that the sun will also be blotted out, to match my present lack of wind....
or
maybe I will confuse the universe and while it is focused on blotting out the sun,
it will forget about holding back the wind...

Watt

« Reply #481 on: July 25, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
hmmm....
Did Americain Indians ever come up with a wind dance?  :o

I fiquire, once I add the perminantly installed backup solar panels on the roof of my shed,
that the sun will also be blotted out, to match my present lack of wind....
or
maybe I will confuse the universe and while it is focused on blotting out the sun,
it will forget about holding back the wind...

No, I don't think they did. 

But, I know some Perpetual " wind bags " on this forum you can " Pop " to create you some.  PM on the way once the list is filled. 

:P

Steadfast

« Reply #482 on: July 25, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
PM on the way once the list is filled. 

:P

Say what??? 
i am not understanding you....   :o

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #483 on: July 25, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
SF
He's refering to people here on the forum who seem to have a limitless amount of air (meaning wind) to expel , SO if you NOT sure who you is, were to pop them then possibly the amount of wind being let go would cause enough wind to head towards your 'mill.
He's currently typing up a list of those "people" and will PM them to you.later once complied.
Hope that helps
Bruce S
It's getting deep!!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #484 on: July 25, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
Solar gods strike too, got my panels in on the 4th and have had 5 clear days since...

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #485 on: July 25, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
We are having a 100 year drought here, maybe somebody needs to install some solar.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #486 on: July 25, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
I'm just wrapping up a long trip that took me thru central / west MI, northern IN, central IL, south and north east IA.

I swear, some places look OK, and some make me think I'm driving thru New Mexico, except for the dead corn and the trees.

Nice trip if you want to see some wind turbines. I've seen the old-style drag farm turbines (from fully operational to just cosmetic to demolished), a homebrew propper, commercial turbines, and even a sail fan turbine.

And damn the hot 100+ degree wind. I'm not going north any more this year. At least the plants in the south have AC (because they NORMALLY need it).

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #487 on: July 25, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
I just went up and toured the new farm in Mason County MI they are all mid size Vestas, I'll start a thread with my pics.

Mastiffman

« Reply #488 on: July 25, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
I just went up and toured the new farm in Mason County MI they are all mid size Vestas, I'll start a thread with my pics.

Nice. Looking forward to that.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #489 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »
SF- 

the only reliable way to get wind at your site is to prop your solar panels on the roof without any attachment, just to test them...  though leave them up overnight, and i will bet money it gets windy enough to rip the turbine, and blow the panels from the roof and break them! 

adam

Steadfast

« Reply #490 on: July 26, 2012, 05:56:58 AM »
SF- 

the only reliable way to get wind at your site is to prop your solar panels on the roof without any attachment, just to test them...  though leave them up overnight, and i will bet money it gets windy enough to rip the turbine, and blow the panels from the roof and break them! 

adam
And when that happens it will be in the darkest part of the night so that no video of the wind event can be recorded on video. I have found that having a shortout break switch is irrelevant, I only need to point my camera at my turbine, push "record" and the wind instantly stops blowing...

Mastiffman

« Reply #491 on: July 26, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
And when that happens it will be in the darkest part of the night so that no video of the wind event can be recorded on video. I have found that having a shortout break switch is irrelevant, I only need to point my camera at my turbine, push "record" and the wind instantly stops blowing...

Nice... lol

Steadfast

« Reply #492 on: July 28, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
I purchased a 100watt solar panel On E-BAY ($185 postage included).
It arrive in the mail broken. The Chinese company that sold it to me sent me a replacement.
and told me to trash the broken one.
If you go to "solar" section here, you can read about the resurrection of the shattered panel.

Today, I mounted both of them to back up my turbine.

The resurrected solar panel and the wood that's gonna reinforce its back.

Wood installed...

Here is a photo of many things.
Yes we used an old bed frame.
Also, you can see the use of my black tar putty tape
both under the foot and to water proof the screw as it goes through the roof.

I took this from on top of the shed roof.
You can Clearly see the diference between the resurrected panel and the replacement panel.

The output of ONLY the 100watt replacement panel alone, in full sun.

And the Bottom line...
This is the combined output of BOTH panels in full sun!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:01:05 PM by Steadfast »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #493 on: July 28, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
how many times did we tell you in this thread to use you money on solar, if you want to keep that roof from leaking, go to lowes and get some roofing mastic and brush it on the legs and the entire mount.

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2012, 02:27:33 AM »
Hi SF.
Buy a chainsaw and cut the trees .
Good for the turbine and panels .