Author Topic: Coil resistance  (Read 1123 times)

zapmk

Coil resistance
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:52:30 PM »
winding coils, 3 hand -vs-4 in hand.  

I know the resistance of the coils will be lower.

The load (Amp's) carrying capacity will be higher.

I Made a couple of coils

1. in hand just under 1/2 inch X.900 wide legs
  2. in hand just under 5/8 inch x.900

Coils, 25 turn 13 gage,8 coils per phase.

mags 1x3x1/2 neo 40's 32 poles, 7/8 between mags.

What will this effect, or the overall outcome with going the extra wires in hand?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:52:30 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Coil resistance
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »
How long is a piece of string?

If you use the same magnet gap for both then they will generate the same voltage at the same speed but obviously the one with an extra strand will have lower resistance.

You obviously could use the thinner stator in a smaller air gap and obtain more volts for the same speed.( lower cut in speed)

None of this will help you or anyone else without knowing all the details of what you want to do and what you want to match it to.

Assuming you want to work with the same magnet gap then the winding with an extra strand will be the better one if it meets your other requirements. If this is all based on guesswork it is possible that neither winding will be any use for what you want, I can't read your mind.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:07:46 PM by Flux »

Gary D

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »
 Flux, I think this is for the nirvana(sp) clone. The link to his story below, a 24 volt system, if I read correctly. Perhaps this will help?  Gary D.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/6/20/14712/0791
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:24:14 PM by Gary D »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 02:06:35 AM »
Thanks Gary.

Unfortunately it doesn't help much as it is for a vawt or something and I have no idea of the characteristics. Not even sure if it is direct battery charging or part heating.

If the intention is to use the wider magnet gap then the winding with the extra strand will be better in every way, but if extra volts are needed then the thinner winding in a narrower gap may be better.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 02:06:35 AM by Flux »

zapmk

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:17:04 AM »
Hello Flux,

Gary is right, same project I have been working on for over a year. It will be only used for charging a 24 volt battery bank.

I think You have answered my question in a round about way.

the gap will stay at 7/8, voltage will stay the same as the thiner coil.(Don't need any more volt's per RPM)

When mocking this up it looked like I could get an extra wire in hand for the givin air gap, the thicker coil does fit,  clearances will be tighter.

The rotors will be at ground level and cooling of the coils is my main concern.

I was under the assumption that less coil resistance in the stator = less heat in the coils, But did not know if it had any other side effects.

-Zapmk

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:17:04 AM by zapmk »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 09:55:42 AM »
Yes use the extra strand if you can get it in. If you have settled the turns and air gap the more strands you can fit in the less the heating. As I said previously if it stalls and you need more resistance then it is far better to add it in the line than have the extra heat in the stator.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:55:42 AM by Flux »