Author Topic: just another reason to go green...  (Read 821 times)

hiker

• BIG DOG
just another reason to go green...
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:19:31 AM »
thought this might open some eyes........

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/weapons/submarine/kursk-

wreck.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/weapons/q0268.shtml&h=145&w=275

&sz=33&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=eJocXsB-fevaUM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=133&prev=/images

%3Fq%3Dkursk%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 05:19:31 AM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

elvin1949

Re: just another reason to go green...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:50:35 PM »
hiker

Good read.I had run across most of this

at different time's BUT never in order

with date's time and place.

I was a witness to one of them.

Nov. 1958  Chenault AF Base.Lake Charles LA.

Nasty fire.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:50:35 PM by elvin1949 »

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 08:26:03 AM »
Interesting .. and just to think, there is probably as much stuff not mentioned by the other participant in the cold war that is not documented. It is also informative how there were many incidents in the post WWII period and got to be less as technology improved.

Ron

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:26:03 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Brian H

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »
"...ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..."

Nuclear weapons are one thing, nuclear energy quite another. Even so, compared to automobiles, or any number of other things we take advantage of, and take for granted on a daily basis, the actual numbers of deaths from nuclear is miniscule.

Nuclear power CAN be done safely, just ask France, they get 85% of their electricity from nuclear reactors. The amount of radioactive waste produced is tiny, and can be safely and economically disposed of. The only down side to nuclear energy that I can see is, like fossil fuels, it will eventually run out. But in the short term, as a transition to a "greener" world, it is BY FAR our "greenest" option.

Think about it. Even the cleanest coal-fired plant pumps tons of pollution into the atmosphere every minute of every day versus a nuc plant of the same size... ZERO. It doesn't get any greener than that.

One more thing to think about: the sun itself, which is the ultimate source of solar and wind energy, is nothing more than a huge nuclear reactor. So whether we like it or not, EVERYTHING is ultimately, nuclear powered.

Just one man's opinion, your mileage may vary.

BrianH

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:10:59 PM by Brian H »