Author Topic: Adding acid to slas  (Read 819 times)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Adding acid to slas
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »
Some new Patients in the Batt recovery Rm

I normally pass these up but two big AGMs and a crap  load of Slas put me in the mood to tri adding acid  to get them to conduct .  Adding acid to this 9 year old 25 AH sla brought it back from 1 volt to  12.18 after the acid infusion . It  only takes 4 amps   .We'll see if it  takes a pulse .

Pic

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:26:49 AM by (unknown) »

commanda

Re: Adding acid to slas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »
Couple of hints:

Don't add too much fluid, the AGM (absorbed glass mat) doesn't like being completely saturated.

You need to put the vent covers back on and glue the plastic cover back before doing too much charging. They need the controlled pressure for the gases to re-combine correctly.

Amanda

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 07:57:01 PM by commanda »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Adding acid to slas
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:57:11 AM »
The AGMs was really dry and still taking fluid .The larger SLAs are returning with some consistency but the smaller ones are acting weird (4 and 7 AH) I expect it's a saturation issue as you suggested . It's a pain but I like taking off the cap charge from these types of batteries 1 to 3 volts above the solid push of the battery. Running a fully charged series string up and PWM a pulse that represents the over voltage watching the slas temp and adjusting the pwm to keep them cool.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:57:11 AM by tecker »