Author Topic: My 46.5 Watt Solar Power System  (Read 6867 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
My 46.5 Watt Solar Power System
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:30:03 AM »
 A Friend of mine recently sold me a 45 watt Harbor Freight solar power system for $150 and I installed it last year 2007 in October. I was going to post about my new system when I got the Solar Panels Mounted properly but it didn't happen so I'm finally posting about it now. But I can tell you more about things since I've been using the system for 4 months now.

The pictures are all 640x480 but I have them tagged to display small in this story. If you would like to see a larger version of a picture you can Right-Click the image and then select the menu item that views the full size image.

Here is the Shed with the batteries and my solar panels. If you look closely right next to the solar panels you will see a little 1.5 watt solar trickle charger and my solar Pool Heater. I want to mount the solar panels on top of the shed and mount the pool heater over the first section of fence next to the shed. The Above Ground pool goes in the spot where everything is sitting right now.

All of my Solar sources will combine through this little diode network. You can see the three main 15 watt panels hooked up here. This is an older picture so you can't see the trickle charger hooked up and I have a 5th panel that I'm weatherizing and will add later this year. This diode combiner will be rebuilt with some low voltage drop schottky diodes later.

Inside of the shed I have the batteries inside of an Ice Cooler. The three wires going to the battery are to the Panels, the Dump Controller, and the output to the House. Eventually the Diode combiner and another Dump Controller will be mounted to the panel on the left. If you look back in the corner on the right-side you will see another 10 watt panel that I will add after I rebuild the weatherizing for it. Plus, I have a 200watt wind generator that I hope to add this year.

There are 2 batteries in the Ice Cooler but I'm only using one of them. The Little one is a 30 amphour car battery. The Big one is a 135 amphour Deep Cycle. I will be rewiring this with a 12amp circuit breaker on each battery using 8 gauge wire. Then I can use the Breakers to switch eather battery online individually so I will have some kind of backup like weeks of no Sun. I have removed the Drain plug on the cooler and drilled five 1/8 inch holes in the top for ventilation.

Currently mounted on the Right-Side is the Dump load that I built with the Controller that Ghurd sells. I used 3 strings of Resistors for the Dump itself, each string is seven 1ohm 5 watt resistors in series. This makes a 2.33ohm 105watt 6amps Dump Resistor. Notice that I'm Not using the Harbor Freight charge controller. Mounted on the left side are the fuses for the Output to the House. This box was built for a smaller system and is OK here but I really need to make something bigger and better for when I add a Wind generator and stuff.

The wire run is about 110 feet (33m) long to the Point of Use. It'a actually longer than drawn in the picture. The first 25 feet is 8 gauge wire and partially buried. The other 85 feet is 10 gauge wire with plans to make the entire run into 8 gauge. I also ran an 8 conductor telephone wire to give me some indications from the controllers. The plastic covered thing is a Greenhouse I built.

I use the power at my computer desk in the living room. Here is my power distribution system under my keyboard and over my dusty computer. The 4 switches control the power to the little terminal strip in the back where my loads are connected. There is a yellow LED that indicates if any of the switches is turned on. The 2 green LEDs connect to the Dump controllers in the shed through Telephone wire and indicate when the controllers are dumping. The Red Pushbutton Test switch is for checking the battery voltage on a meter by the computer monitor. I also have a 20,000 mfd capacitor in there to help out with some power surges I was getting when I operated the switches. Have plans to add more switches since I discovered that I have more power than expected.

I use the 12vdc straight from the battery without inverters. The picture shows the Voltage meter on the top. It only reads out when the red pushbutton is pressed, There are 2 marks on the meter, the low mark is 12.2 volts, the high mark is 14.4 volts. The meter comes out of a cassette deck and lights up when I press the test button. My 12v DSL modem has been running on solar power for 4 months now. I don't use this Router but it runs on 12v too. I use the 12v TV which is also a Radio. The Harbor Freight Kit came with two 12v CFLs for light. I have a 12v muffin fan to help cool me down in the summer.

- Results -

I have been extreamly happy with this system. With the few devices that I'm running there is practicly unlimited power. The DSL modem is on about 18 hours a day and pulls .6 amp, The two 12v .4 amp CFLs are on about 4 hours a day and have been left on overnight a few times. I use the TV for about an hour a day and it pulls about 1.1 amp. When it's hot I run the .8 amp muffin fan about 4 hours a day. If it's sunny outside the batteries will be charged by 1:pm in the afternoon. I went for 7 days without Sun once and just used the Modem, lights and fan some for those 7 days. The battery never got below 12.1 volts and it took 2½ days of full Sun to get the battery charged back up. I have seen the system Dumping power on heavy overcast days. Ghurds Dump controller works like a dream and I love having the Dump LED indicator inside where I'm using the power.
 When i first powered up this system i found the the DSL modem would Reset when I turned on the Lights or TV. I was thinking this was because of the power surges on such a long cable run. I put a 20,000 mfd capacitor across the power in my Switch Box and that problem disappeared.

I live in a large neighborhood that streaches out more than a mile (2km) in every direction. Here is a picture of a power pole that is on the corner of my property. If I wanted to get into anykind of major Grid Tie then I have a good place to tap into. I have also considered trying to run some wires under those High Tension lines to see if I can tap any static charges or something and get even more power. Just past that power pole is a 5 lane city street.

Questions or Comments Welcome

W o o f -={(

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:30:03 AM by (unknown) »

independent

Re: My 46.5 Watt Solar Power System
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 02:30:19 AM »
I think this is a really cool example of ad-hoc diy self power--very urban-guerrilla.

I'm in the middle of doing up a bus for use as a motorhome and I reckon similarly to you about power usage. If you work out the maths, keep the loads small you don't really need a lot (of electricity).

I really like it. Thanks for showing these photos
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:30:19 AM by independent »

blueyonder

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:07:09 AM »
hi woofer . great diary .

it was just like a visit to your home on a sunday afternoon when you go to

visit a friend .

its good to see you call a shed a shed. also a greenhouse ditto.

i think sumtimes i try to use plain words so as not to confuse.

but every thing you said could have been here in the UK.

the pics are very detailed . and i found i was thinking i need to get moving as well.

one thing you said. no sun for seven days . in the uk you dont mention such small problems.

when its cloudy for two or three weeks and you see the sun come out for a hour.

it makes you so happy.

now you understand why windmills are so popular here.

you have put a lot of work and time into what your doing.

but the rewards are great. don't you think.

at the moment i only have solar. but got a turbine at ground level.

working on a mast. its hard to make a mast on the cheap.

you dont find meny masts in dumpsters now. not like the old days.

i also have plans to heat water with solar.

so woofer thanks for sharing your setup.

hope the next time i read it. you will have gen on the move.

its funny but for sum reason i thought you might live on to of a mountain sumwhare.

or a prairie with no roads.

i to live in the suburbs.

menny hands make light work. (the otherpower forum)  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:07:09 AM by blueyonder »

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »
Pretty cool! I just got the new H.F. sales paper, and they have those 45watt systems on sale for $179 until March 24, 2008. Want to get rid of that H.F. controller?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:28:24 AM by Jeff »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:31 AM »
Way cool Woofer,

Over all I like your setup, very similar to things I'm doing, like the battery box.

After the pool goes in consider some water heating panels like I built. You can see them in my diary. I just redid my system when I re-roofed my house. All clean with new black paint etc. I'm going to be posting a tutorial for Gary at BuildItSolar.com's request. The "make your own electricity" part of my system will be hooking it up to a Harbor Freight 12 volt water pump run off my HF panels. I will be asking for help then for a controller to have the motor run in spurts rather than continuos.

Nice update, thanks,

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:31:31 AM by TheCasualTraveler »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:02:07 AM »
Hi Woof, Just looking thru the postings trying

to get incentive to do something today. Was

wondering when you took these pics ? Yesterday

was like that here,nice and sunny, ideal solar

power day.

Today not as good for solar, but NE breeze,

about 10 mph.

You're stuff...right now looks too ambitious

...for me ....but I suppose do able, one step

at a time....right?

I use a VW panel,temporary setup day by day,

It has built in control to prevent overcharge,

of course and...

and when I'm using pedal power    

I have a built in charge controller,myself.

.......I keep an eye on the

voltage of the voltmeter ...when the batteries

reach a certain level I just switch batteries.

....Or quit! Usually the latter...LOL!

I charge 4-6 volt Ni-Cad 'sticks' in parallel

at a time, very good exercise, not that I would

ever think of quitting the exercise....but when

my power consuming projects get going....would

be nice to have some solar and wind help.

How's the wind and sun over there today?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:02:07 AM by Norm »

donald77777

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »
Please do not stack your router and modem. I see that you do not use it but your modem has the volt meter covering the vent holes. I have replaced many customers routers and modems due to heat from stacking. Even a little heat will slowly cook them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:30:22 PM by donald77777 »

donald77777

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »
Now back on topic: good job I always love picture from peoples setups so I can arrange mine better (when its built lol). Anyways keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:31:42 PM by donald77777 »

richhagen

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
Hi Woof!  It looks like you have room there for three more panels on that diode rack.  

I looked at the batteries and thought about the need for overcurrent protection there.  Then I read about your plans to add breakers.  I have a breaker now on my line to the inverter, and some of those small in-line blade fuse holders for the dump load, solar panels, and other stuff that is attached right at the battery.  I've seen a couple of lines on peoples systems where they accidentally shorted the wires away from the battery and melted the insulation.  It seems a possible way to start a fire without overcurrent protection for the cables.  I have been planning to run one large cable with a large fuse right at the positive terminal of the battery to a box with a smaller breaker to protect the line from the battery, which would then attach to bus bars which would beed power to breakers through which everything else would be attached.    

I have also been thinking about grounding, and have attached my inverters ground to the same point as my homes electrical system, which is my incoming metal water pipe.  I can disconnect my solar panels from my combiner box on the roof, and I have an extra ground line from there, but I still have to ground the frames and racks there, which I plan to also tie to the water line ground.  I also plan to bond the negative terminal on the DC side of the panel box I described above to the ground only within that box, although I want to check if it is bonded within the Trace inverter first - although I don't think it should be as an inverter should be a servicable item which could be removed from a system.  

I like the indicator light and voltage meter remotes to your office.  I have to walk to the laundry room to check the voltages ect., might have to rig something similar to yours.  That way I don't have to walk to the laundry room to see if its sunny outside.  :-)

For your small system it seems to make sense to avoid the extraneous losses from an inverter if possible, but once you add more panels, you may have to search harder for 12V. loads to power.  

Looks like fun, Rich

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:37:59 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 01:17:16 AM »
My cat sleeps on top of my SDSL router, and enjoys being slowly cooked at 9W!

The router's feelings on the matter are unreported...

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:17:16 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
Looks good!

Can always see if the cordless phone uses 9VDC, then solar power it with a 7809.

G-

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:05:18 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

domwild

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
Woof,

Great stuff! Don't get caught sucking down some static electricity from the high-tension lines! I wonder if that is even possible?

At Exmouth in the North-West of Western Australian the US Navy uses the largest diesels in the S. hemisphere to drive the gigantic VLF transmitting staton. Used for the Omega navigation system and to be able to talk to submarines. Anyone standing below the aerials with a neon tube in hand can light up the tube no problem!

More watts to you!

Regards,

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:54:32 AM by domwild »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 07:55:52 AM »
I have been very busy the last coupla days and haven't had time to make comments to your comments, so I'll reply to all of you in this post

blueyonder

---you have put a lot of work and time into what your doing but the rewards are great. don't you think.---

My greatest reward so far was my Wife waking up late one night with the grid power off. She wanted to smoke a cigarette but not in the dark. She remembered the solar power in the livingroom and used the solar powered lights there, Then was thanking me the next morning.

---its funny but for sum reason i thought you might live on to of a mountain sumwhare.---

I am in the middle Huntsville Alabama USA. Population 275,000. The wind in Huntsville doesn't Blow, it Sucks.

ruralmcguyver

---Want to get rid of that H.F. controller?---

The controller blew up 30 minutes after I hooked it up, I thought I would build another project out the the Chassis but  if you want it, I'll just charge shipping.

TheCasualTraveler

---After the pool goes in consider some water heating panels like I built. You can see them in my diary---

I looked in your diary but the picture is gone and there is not a description of the system.

Norm

---How's the wind and sun over there today?---

The last week has been quite Windy and Sunny. We had 3 inches of rain 2 days ago which is great since we are still in extreme drought.

donald77777

---I have replaced many customers routers and modems due to heat from stacking---

Yes I am sensitive to heat from electronics too. The electronics in the picture was posed to look good. The modem has a Hot Spot on the bottom center, so I normally flip it on it's side so it can shed the heat easier. No vent holes in this modem.

richhagen

---I looked at the batteries and thought about the need for overcurrent protection there---

Yes you are very correct about some overload protection as close to the battery as you can get. I consider this to be the next priority in upgrading this system. The only thing protected right now is the main Wire Run around the house.

---I have also been thinking about grounding---

I have the negative lead from the battery connected to the ground of the Grid Outlet in the shed, also connected to the metal skin of the shed and the ground rod for the house.

ghurd

---Can always see if the cordless phone uses 9VDC, then solar power it with a 7809---

Wow, Powering the cordless phone from Solar had never occurred to me. The charger thing is right here on my computer desk and it is 9vdc. Does anybody know how much power a 7809 regulator pulls on idle ?

domwild

---Don't get caught sucking down some static electricity from the high-tension lines! I wonder if that is even possible?---

it is possible to get power from wire runs. We have talked about it a few times here. Search the Board for "long wire runs" and you will get some good information.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:55:52 AM by wooferhound »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »
Many 1A and 1.5A 7809s claim ~8ma max, but seem to use about 2.5 to 4.5ma.

The phone(s) I have take very little power when charging (200ma peak?, and tapering down quickly), less when being used (50~80ma?), and not much at all when the battery is charged (20~40ma?).

And I have a junk "Olympia" brand that takes like 1/2 amp almost all the time. The batteries are always warm.

Too many phones to keep them straight, but most don't use much power.

G-

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:20:34 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
How about some more information

Cost

$150 - Solar panels, Frame for panels, two 12vdc CFL bulbs

$30 - Dump controller from ghurd plus wiring and resistors

$45 - 135 amphour Deep cycle batter from a Surplus Blemished battery store

$25 - Ice Cooler, I found this one in a parking lot

$25 - Fuse panel, no cost to me because I already had everything

$100 - 110 feet of Outdoor rated wire to go around the house

$20 - Telephone/Cat5 cable for indicators, it was free to me

$45 - Switch panel, capacitors, terminal strip, etc.

$60 - 12vdc items, TV/Radio, DSL Modem, Muffin Fan. Had this stuff already

So If I bought everything new it would have cost me about $500.oo But I already had a buncha stuff and it only cost me about $315 total not including my time. About the cost of the system that ghurd was going to use to power his LED desk lamp.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/2/7/171927/1689

Links

I've discussed some of these things on here before . . .

Talking about the wire and grounding for the run that goes around the house

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/9/3/22483/29925

My first RE system, 12 watt solar electric system, many parts used in my new system

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/6/10/20567/9536

The 200 watt wind generator that I built and plan to fly this year

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/4/4/164552/3003

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:34:00 AM by wooferhound »

Jeff

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »
Thanks Woof, but I already have 2 H.F. "blown up" controllers! LOL Too bad yours is though, you could use the 9v output on it for your phone (and/or a smoke alarm). That's was I was wanting it for. A friend gave me a box full of old cordless phones, and luckily, there was a 900mHz one in there that ran off 12v! I'm using an old Sealed Gel battery for my scooter that has a dead cell. It's only good for 10volts, but it has no problem keeping up with a good answering machine, the smoke alarms, and a life alert system all made for 9volts.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:35:45 AM by Jeff »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »
     Woofer, here's a link to my solar hot water setup.

http://www.thecasualtraveler.com/solar.htm

Should work good for you in Alabama. I would like to use my HF panels with a 12 volt pump and battery to run the water thru the panels intermittently but I need to find a simple circuit/ device to run the system for 15 minutes on, and 15 minutes off in cycles and turned on and off with a photo switch. Not as good as running continuously but it would be 100 percent solar powered.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:12:21 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

Jeff

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 06:48:38 AM »
Traveler,

I'd like to find the same type of timer for my system, except 2 minutes on, 15 minutes off. I'm using a pump from Surplus Center, part # 2-924 that works pretty good. It only draws 1.8 amps on 12v, but it's not made for continuous use. Since it's a sealed unit & also made to be submersable, the housing could be drilled for some much-needed air cooling to prevent premature failure. Let me know if you find anything (cheap) for a 12v timer.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 06:48:38 AM by Jeff »