Author Topic: Finally, I got voltage!!!  (Read 795 times)

mbohuntr

Finally, I got voltage!!!
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »
I posted in November to on problems I was having with coil geometry, Using 1/2"X1/2"X 2" N48'S I was getting very strange readings. Well We had a very busy holiday season and I Finally got back to it. I got it working and discovered my mistakes...at least some of them. I made a 3 x 3 square coil with 150 turns, slipped in an old motor rotor with 2 magnets stuck on it, one north, one south opposite each other. I attached the drill and spun it at 1100 rpms and got about .5 volts. I had a rather large gap between the magnets and coil at about 3/8" each side. I now realize that each side of the coil needs to be exposed to an opposite pole at the same time to get electrons flowing! duh... smaller air gaps give more current... and lastly, I will not get an accurate estimate of it's potential unless I mount up something stationary and quit trying to hold it by hand. Thanks to all who helped me! I've got lots to think about.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:27:50 PM by (unknown) »

TheCasualTraveler

Re: Finally, I got voltage!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
     Glad to see you getting results but I think your still off on the coil. You state that,

""Using 1/2"X1/2"X 2" N48'S,  I made a 3 x 3 square coil with 150 turns""

That sounds like a problem and in a previous thread Flux tried to point out to you this,

""If your magnets are only 1/2" square, try again with a coil 2" long but with the hole about 1/2" wide (wind it round a stick 2" long and 1/2" thick).""

You may want to reconsider that advice.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:14:13 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

mbohuntr

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:24:32 PM »
if I'm reading you guys correctly, you are referring to the design that uses two   cocentric plates.. right? My test was using the design on windstuffnow (a rotor spinning inside a cocoon of coils) Does the voltage increase with the frequency? Please don't think I'm not listening, I'm just looking to wrap my brain around the ideas you guys are giving me. I just thought the radial design would be simpler. but it looks to be less efficient. Keep the thoughts coming. thanks      
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:24:32 PM by mbohuntr »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
     Sorry then, if your copying windstuff Ed's design with overlapping coils then nevermind.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:32:30 PM by TheCasualTraveler »