Author Topic: Using Tractor Generator For Windmill  (Read 1845 times)

(unknown)

Using Tractor Generator For Windmill
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
Hi iam new to the board posting  but have been reading here for a long time

need to ask if this is posable.

i know that the ford and other brand Tractors some at least use Generators not alts for charging power because of this i also know some are 6 volt some are 12 volt however i was woundering if it would be posable to use one for winpower iam moving into a new house new to me anyway it has no power as of yet i have to rewire the house completly as someone cut alll the wiring out.

And i like the off the grid idea and wanted to build 3 windmills for power.

Has anyone tryed this idea and what do you guys know about this type of Generator .

Thank you for any information you might be able to give me and forgive a newbie for not knowing lol.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:34:15 PM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: Using Tractor Generator For Windmill
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
Generators were used on the older N series Ford tractors beginning in the 1940's or so.  These are not an efficient source of power and their wear characteristics would not be a good match for 24/7 operation of a windmill.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:19:58 PM by RP »

jlt66

Re: Using Tractor Generator For Windmill
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:33:04 AM »
If you are set on using a generator ,try to find a military gen. like those used on 2 1/2 ton & 5 ton trucks. they are 24volt. hooked up to charge a 12 volt battery the one that i used would put out 25 amps with a 6 ft blade.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:33:04 AM by jlt66 »