Author Topic: How many BTU's from solar hot water panels?  (Read 24887 times)

snowcrow

How many BTU's from solar hot water panels?
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:28:01 AM »
  I'm trying to get some kind of idea as to want the output is of solar hot water panels, (BTU's/m2), with not much luck.  Manufacturers seem to avoid making any claim at all as to the performance of their produces these days.

Does anyone here have any numbers they can share with me?  From what I have seen of one glass tube type collector, they only work well down to 26 F, after which point they are about useless for collecting any meaningful heat.

Would using solar and wind be a better way to go for hot water heating in really colder climates?

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:28:01 AM by (unknown) »

g reif

Re: How many BTU's from solar hot water panels?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »
hi

don't have numbers for you but I have the flat plate collectors and they work great when it is sunny out no matter what the temp.

it was not uncommon for me to get 135-140 degree water in january with the temps below zero, but in march when it's couldy not as good, only 90-95 degrees.

I have 2  4 x 10 colectors for making domestic hot water, add more collectors temps go up.

go to builditsolar.com, gary has a great collection of info from lots of people including a bunch of articles and real life projects that have been published in sevaral magazines

I am very happy with solar and would add more if I had the room

good luck

gary

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 10:30:58 PM by g reif »

fcfcfc

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »
Hi: Oh my GOD, solar hot water is the best use of solar energy from an ROI perspective available today!!!! Glass tube type collectors (Evacuated tube collectors)are very efficient down to just about any temperature. To give you some rough numbers, my evacs that I sell will give you about 25K to 30K Btu's in the tank each per day. That size is about 7' wide and 5.5' high gross size. Evacs have a bigger gross area per given net area than flat plates do to the way they are designed, so think of that size as about 30 sqft. Most flat plates will give about the same output per area in the Summer, until the colder weather sets in where they start to suffer from reduced efficiency. How a system is designed makes a big difference in terms of how much heat you will collect as does the collector to storage ratios and loads on the system. Stratified storage also can give you a big push in efficiency though most single tank systems are limited on their ability to do that. You want about 60 sqft feet of collector for about 80 to 120 gallons of preheat storage tank. Depending on the how the system is designed, that will do VERY well for you up to a NORMAL family of 4 or even 6 people.

Good luck....

.....Bill

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:27:30 AM by fcfcfc »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
Hi,

Probably the best numbers you will find are from the SRCC certification testing.

The SRCC publishes the output in BTU for each certified panel for sunny, mildly sunny, and cloudy conditions.

You can get all the test results here:

http://www.solar-rating.org/ratings/ratings.htm

Download the "Directory of SRCC Certified Collectors"

Here is a page with my thoughts on how to read/use the data:

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Ratings/SRCCRating.htm

-------------

As a REALLY ROUGH indicator, 1 sqft of collector will see about 2000 BTU/sqft on a sunny day.

If your collector averages 50% efficiency, then you would get (2000)(0.5) = 1000 BTU per day per sqft of collector (10800 BTU/m^2).

So, a 40 sqft (3.7 m^2) collector on a sunny day might get you 40,000 BTU per day (12 KWH).

This ignores (or averages) the effects of time of year, outside temperature, collector design, ...

but still does fairly well for typical uses.  

If you want to get really hot water in a very cold climate in the middle of winter (or some such thing), then you need to look at the details.

Gary

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:00:33 PM by GaryGary »

zeusmorg

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »
 How many btu's? well sun has 3,400 BTU/M2 available, so actual output would depend on

the efficiency of the solar panel you use, and atmospheric conditions. Some solar water systems can claim up to 70% efficiency, so that would put us at 2,380 BTU/M2. Even if you used a low figure of 50% 1,700 BTU/m2, this puts you way ahead of any other form of solar power. The overall design of your solar water system is a factor in efficiency also, (type of storage, active vs passive, type of collector). However even factoring in the worst case scenario I think you'd find that solar water heating is a good choice. I think you should read gary/gary's recent article in Mother earth news, he shows a whole house heating system powered by solar water absorption panels, and it's a good design.

Now comparing it to a PV setup, which can claim up to 20% efficiency you'd be getting only 680 BTU/M2 then you'd have additional losses  storing and converting that electricity back into heat.

I don't know where you read that glass tube collectors only work down to 26F any well

designed collector would work well way below that if solar insolation is available.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:07:36 PM by zeusmorg »

snowcrow

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:33:31 AM »
  Thanks g reif, I did goto builditsolar.com and you're right, there is a lot of information on the subject!!  I'm try to find ways to save on heating oil, now at $3.65 /gal.  My Mother is in her 70's, so doing a wood fired boiler for supplementing to oil fired one is out of the question.

I'm still not confident that there will be useful heat made on sunny days with outside temps of -25 F and below.  I guess I'd just like to know more before sending a lot of money.

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:33:31 AM by snowcrow »

snowcrow

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 07:14:49 AM »
  Hi fcfcfc, The add for the tube type I was referring to was at: www.northentool.com and that there I got the information, as to outside temps.

As far as system is a present, there is a oil fired 90,000 BTU Buderus G_205 with domestic hot water and a wood fired boiler sitting beside it.  The wood boiler is not being used and will replaced by a solar hot water system, is the plan.

There are 5 zones for hot water base board heat (heating 1,700 sqft), 1 zone for domestic hot water, through a heat exchanger, and a zone for the wood boiler, which feeds right into the Buderus.  It should be a somewhat simple installation with the present setup!  Just need to do some calculating!! Thanks Bill

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 07:14:49 AM by snowcrow »

fcfcfc

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:14:06 AM »
Hi SC:

I don't know where you are other than it is very cold. If Winter space heating is the intended goal, two things, use evacuated tube collectors, second mount the collectors at a 65 to 70 deg angle from the horiz.. Assuming you are in an average sun location, for 1700 sqft you are looking at 8 to 10 collectors with a gross square footage of 280 to 350. With that you will want about 600 gallons of water storage single tank or 320 to 400 gallons of heavily stratified storage. You will invest 12K$ 16K$ or more by the time EVERYTHING is done. It just all adds up, collectors, storage, pumps, plumbing, controls, wiring, backup power, labor depending, racking, insulation, etc., etc..

This is the type of system you will need if you are really going to make decent stab (50 to 75%) into the space heating load. Where you are, sunny or not sunny, orientation and access to the sun, will also make a huge difference in the required gross collector area and the results you can expect.

The last thing I will say is that you mention forced hot water baseboard. If it is a typical system delivery and return temp wise (180-160), that is way to hot to be able to contribute to with solar energy efficiently.. It will work but the efficiency of the solar will be poor.. You want to have a delivery infrastructure that the return is as cool as possible like forced hot air of high mass radiant. Low mass radiant will work too, just a little bit less efficient than high mass, on average..

Just trying to give you an idea of what you are in for....

.....Bill

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:14:06 AM by fcfcfc »

snowcrow

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 04:49:13 AM »
  Thanks Gary, this gives me what I need to get started.  I think I'll concentrate on the domestic hot water for now, it will keep the boiler from running year round just to heat water.  I'll post a plan when I have one!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:49:13 AM by snowcrow »

snowcrow

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 05:29:16 AM »
  Thanks zeusmorg, your right 680 BTU/M2 would just not be cost effective!!  The price of the panels is about the same and it does not matter if the copper is pipe or wire, its still expensive these days.  I would still have to buy a storage tank, so I guess in the end, its the same money spent, but 2 to 3 times the BTU's even in winter then solar electric.

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:29:16 AM by snowcrow »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 08:19:36 AM »
Hi,

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I have to take issue with the idea that it takes a  very expensive system or a system that uses evac tubes to provide space heating in cold climates.

Here are two simple systems I use that each cost about $2 to $3 per sqft, and pay for themselves in saved propane in 1 or 2 years.

A simple thrmosyphon air heating collector:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/solar_barn_project.htm

Total cost for 160 sqft was $350.

A simple direct gain collector with moveable insulation:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarGarageCollector/garcol.htm

Total cost for about 120 sqft was $380.

Performance at -20F:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarGarageCollector/GarCol20F.htm

This third system uses flat plate water heating collectors, and works just fine at -20F:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarShed/solarshed.htm

Total cost for 240 sqft was $4000

I live in SW Montana -- an 8000 deg-day climate with very cold winters.

Simple, low tech solar, low cost collectors will work for space heating in cold climates as long as they are good designs.

Simple heat gathering sunspaces also work.

Gary

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:19:36 AM by GaryGary »

fcfcfc

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »
Hi: It all depends where you are at. YOU have the BIG benefit of being in a spot with very, very clear skies and high altitude which makes a big difference in the available solar energy, extreme cold or not. It all depends where he is and what his site is like, specifically. There are always allot of choices and variables in any space heating system. But I would agree, if you live in a spot with strong plentiful sunshine, low water vapor, snow fields and high altitude, allot of things will do OK there.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:17:57 AM by fcfcfc »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
Hi,

We do benefit a bit from our altitude -- about 30 watts per sqm -- only about 3% better than sea level.  

Our percentage of sunny days is no better than average.  Many places in the US are much much better.

My point was that simple, low tech systems if designed well and built carefully are just as efficient as high tech systems using evacuated tubes.  To be a bit blunt, its a myth that evacuated tube systems have a large (or any) efficiency advantage over flat plates or some other types of systems.  You can play around with this calculator and convince yourself of this:

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/Collector/ColEfic.htm#efic

The data is right off the SRCC collector certification site.

I'm not in any way against evacuated tubes -- I think its a great technology, but if you are willing to expend some elbow grease you can do just as well with a less costly system -- isn't that kind of what this forum is about?

Gary

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:40:00 PM by GaryGary »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 01:37:59 AM »
Hi,

However, in conjunction with a heat-pump (eg ground source), the CoP can be high enough to make up for the difference in efficiency per unit area, and you can store the pumped heat (alongside some electricity) for when the sun is down in a big thermal store.

And overheating in summer need not be a problem for the PV component.

Haven't done this, but I'd like to...

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:37:59 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

fcfcfc

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
Hi: Well, having had the benefit of a system running with flat plates and then with evacs, (only the collector changing) in the "real world", both for years, I know that evacs do better especially when clouds start to be introduced and short periods of sun. Come on Gary, its not that complicated. On the one hand you have a vacuum separating the outside air from the absorber, the other trapped air spaces. Take any flat plate you want and put it side by side an evac and let them stag. The temps the evac will rise to VS the flat are about 250 VS 400, being very generic here. That difference of the evac holding on to the heat in low insolation levels is where the difference is. I don't need to play with sims or look at SRCC test data. Those results don't show the whole picture for systems in the real world. The data is useful within context only. Also, you should not misinterpret my posting. If you have been on my website, which I believe you have, you know my first solar project on my house was a site built hot air panel back in '94, and a used flat plate and home built wood box thermal storage unit added later all integrated with the hot air. I LOVE to build cheap!! Its great!! But with that said, there are allot of pitfalls that the average DYI'er can make without a clue as to the efficiency repercussions or potential serious problems lurking, diminishing the returns that they will see for all their hard work and much time expended. And I know you know that because that's why you are putting your stuff out there for people to see and learn from. I do the same thing on my site. Flat plates can be good in the right climate and location and do a decent job, but if you are at all in a place that has what would be deemed as having cloudy Winters and is about 4500 HDD or colder, evacs will do better job for you and give a much flatter generation capacity over the period.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:11:43 PM by fcfcfc »

zeusmorg

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
 We all know that evacuated tube collectors are more expensive, so it partially comes down to bang for buck. Also wouldn't increasing your flat plate area for less money be a better option? Second you're looking at an evacuated tube, any guarantees how long that glass to metal seal will hold up? Also if a good sized hail storm comes rolling through, i think I'd rather replace a piece of glass rather than my entire collector. It is true in certain circumstances, evacs do generate higher heat in certain circumstances, but then again so do flat plates.

However in snow,the evacuated tubes aren't going to melt any accumulated snow off, either, a flat plate will. Evacuated tube collectors give you more btu output in the morning and evening, the flat plate gives more with direct sunlight, so unless the ambient temperature difference is quite great, then the two can perform similarly through out a days sunshine with the total btu's generated. If a tracking system was used, a flat plate would definitely outperform, however this requires way too many additional engineering requirements to make it practical, which would all add to the cost.

OK that's my two cent's worth....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:47:00 PM by zeusmorg »

fcfcfc

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »

Hi: Thanks for the response. I am glad people are responding to this because it allows me to clear up some of the mis-conceptions out there about evacs.. In order:

"Also wouldn't increasing your flat plate area for less money be a better option?"

It depends. The main difference in flat VS evac is not so much about peak energy output but times when a flat produces no usable TEMPERATURE where an evac would. Notice I specifically said temp, not Btu's. You can have a system that acquires millions of Btu's of energy yet offers a ZERO useful amount of energy, because it never gets up to the contribution point which is 1 deg more then the input temp of the medium you are trying to add to. To put it another way, you could have a thousand flats on a cloudy day sitting in no-circ at 80 DegF and a solar tank at 85 DegF and there the system will sit all day. On the other side of town you have 10 evacs able to reach 140 DegF with the same solar insolation level and the same 85 DegF tank and the system will cycle on and off through out the day yielding some energy capture. So, none VS some. This is why the type of climate you have is important.

"Second you're looking at an evacuated tube, any guarantees how long that glass to metal seal will hold up?"

Only single wall glass evacs have glass to metal seals. Double wall designs which are less money have glass to glass welds so there are no expansion issues or issues relating to keeping different materials together over thermal extremes and years of time.

"Also if a good sized hail storm comes rolling through, I think I'd rather replace a piece of glass rather than my entire collector."

Just the opposite. Evacs you just replace the tubes effected which require no stopping of the system or opening up to the pressure environment. I would much rather replace a few glass tubes than a huge sheet of thick glass. You can break 50% of the tubes on an evac and you only replace 50% of the glass. You break a flat cover glass and say good buy to the whole thing, plus most flat cover glasses are not exactly sealed for easy field replacement, and usually require the frame to be disassembled.

"However in snow, the evacuated tubes aren't going to melt any accumulated snow off, either, a flat plate will."

This is a tough one. It depends on the snow type, outside temps and solar insolation level. If the outside temp and sun are both high enough to allow the snow to melt without the heat loss from underneath, the extra time will be more than made up from the increased efficiency of the evac. in the cold.. Evacs will run with 2" of snow on them, something which is quite amazing if you are used to seeing flats sit there in the same situation. The best cure I have found for heavy snow areas is a mounting angle of 60 to 70 Degs. Snow most of the time, especially dry snow in cold climates will fall off and accumulate less depth on smooth surfaces at that angle. My opinion on the whole snow thing is unless you live in a lake effect area that gets allot on constant heavy snow, the over all better efficiency will offset the snow issue.

"Evacuated tube collectors give you more btu output in the morning and evening, the flat plate gives more with direct sunlight, so unless the ambient temperature difference is quite great, then the two can perform similarly through out a days sunshine with the total btu's generated."

The use of the word "direct sunlight" I find a bit ambiguous since both types of collectors use diffuse and direct sun rays, so I will not comment.

"If a tracking system was used, a flat plate would definitely outperform, however this requires way too many additional engineering requirements to make it practical, which would all add to the cost."

Its funny you would say tracking since my evacs have been on an East - West tracker for years and I reap the benefits of such.. but I would definitely say it is a LABOR OF LOVE to do it and it is not worth the aggravation for the average person or maybe even ME if I had it to do over!!! LOL!!

.....Bill

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:20:29 PM by fcfcfc »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 04:41:14 PM »
Hi Bill,

Did not realize it was you.

I like your product, and like the fact that you are trying to make evacs available at competitive prices.

I still have to take issue with the idea that the SRCC data does not give a fair comparison.  They spend a gazillion dollars testing collectors.  They test them all the same way.  They give test data for sunny, part sunny and cloudy conditions.  The whole reason they exist is to provide fair and unbiased data for the consumer to make good decisions.

I think that a part of the reason that evacs don't do better compared to FPs in the SRCC testing is that there is that the effective area for both types of collectors is taken as the outside dimensions of the array.  In evacs there is area between tubes that does nothing and this hurts their performance.  You could argue that the SRCC should measure area differently, but I think the way they do it is fair -- they measure the space taken up on your roof.

Some sample data on actual collectors:

Full Sun:

Seido evac under full sun, 30F ambient, 120F out:

Efic = 43.9%,  Output = 131.8 BTU/sqft

Gobi FP under full sun, 30F ambient, 120F out:

Efic = 49.5%, Output = 148.6 BTU/sqft

Part Cloudy:

Seido evac under part cloudy (225 BTU/sf), 30F ambient, 120F out:

Efic = 40.9%,  Output = 92.1 BTU/sqft

Gobi FP under part cloudy (225 BTU/sf), 30F ambient, 120F out:

Efic = 41.5%, Output = 93.41 BTU/sqft

Cloudy:

Seido evac under cloudy day (150 BTU/sqft), 30F ambient, 120F out:

Efic = 35.0%,  Output = 52.4 BTU/sqft

Gobi FP under cloudy day (150 BTU/sqft), 30F ambient, 120F out:

Efic = 25.4%, Output = 38.1 BTU/sqft

So, the best evac I could find in the SRCC data puts out 14 BTU/sqft more than an FP under cloudy conditions, and 17 BTU/sqft less than an FP under full sun. And, in part cloudy conditions its essentially a dead heat.

Does not seem like a lot of difference to me.

Data from the SRCC certifications via this calculator:

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/Collector/ColEfic.htm#efic

Gary

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 04:41:14 PM by GaryGary »

fcfcfc

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »
Hi Gary: I no it doesn't seem like much of a difference and there in lies the problem, because there is a big difference in the real world when you interface them in a complete system. I think to appreciate the NET results at the end of the day you just have to have the hands on experience month after month, weather condition after weather condition to see the differences between the two in the Real world. Again when the sun is plentiful and clear sky predominates its a bit of a flip of a coin. There are so many ways I can try to explain the differences but it is hard. This one Summer VS Winter. Lets say the target out is 120DegF. The outdoor temp during the day is 90 DegF, delta 40. Now switch to Winter same target temp, outdoor temp 10 DegF delta 110 DegF. The baseline on lets say a closed loop glycol in Btu's to get the system running at a net gain once the sun shows itself is not zero but may thousands of Btu's (piping mass, fluid in the lines, temp controller diff to overcome, collector metal mass and fluid, etc..). As an example in math, take two numbers 7000 and 9000 and say how big is the difference between them..??.. Well there is a difference between them of 2000 so 9000 is only 28% bigger than 7000. But now lets say that the first 4000 can not be counted because it is not a positive contributor. So, 7000 - 4000 = 3000 end result added. 9000 - 4000 = 5000 added. Now look at the % difference. 5000 is 67% bigger than 3000!! In short the collected heat with a non zero baseline is 2.4 times more!! This is just one little difference that just scratches the surface when you look at complete systems in the real world VS gross collector outputs. I think the SRCC data is good for finding trash VS decent and of course the main real reason companies use it is because its tied to money for the customer. There are so many other important things that go into a great system VS a fair to good system that outweigh gross collector output... anyway I think the horse is dead at this point.... BTW, I visit your site quite often and I think the volume and diversity of the info offerings is really great and un-matched anywhere else. I wish I had more time to work on my own projects as I used to, but business calls (food on the table etc..). I have so many incomplete ideas and inventions it is ridiculous....and very frustrating...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:54:02 PM by fcfcfc »