Author Topic: C60 stuck in equalize...  (Read 2221 times)

windstuffnow

C60 stuck in equalize...
« on: December 26, 2007, 04:51:43 PM »
  Over the last few days it was fairly windy and the wind turbine was working overtime.  I noticed my meter, with all the incomming electrons telling me it was dumping 20-30 amps and dropping voltage.  I figured it was simply doing its job until it was down in the 12.5 range which was quite abnormal, normally it would keep it to 13.7 when fully charged.  

I placed it in equalize mode several days before but we didn't have enough sun or wind to do the job.  Also, I needed to bring the batteries back using the inverter in charge mode.  When I do that the diversion controller needs to be in equalize mode other wise it would dump grid power when it was close to being charged.  

Needless to say, it was - is stuck in equalize mode according to the blinking red light but it's simply stuck in dump.   I disconnected it and let it sit for a while assuming it would clear itself and start fresh.  Several hours later I reconnected it getting the normal green light blinks and all was well.  Several minutes later I saw the trimetric meter telling me it was dumping 20+ amps again.  Again the red equalize light was blinking again and dumping power.  It doesn't respond to the normal manual switch over charge/equalize mode so I presume its toast.  

I have a hammer, does anyone know the special "spot" that needs to be tapped.  Any one experienced this problem before?...

During the windy days, with no load diversion, I found myself turning on lights all over the house, even screwing in some old resistance bulbs because the CF's just wouldn't draw enough power.  An old electric heater helped considerably but it was a very bright night!

I know... I need an off switch to shut down the turbine in special cases as this.  I tend to overlook simple devices when all is working well...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:51:43 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

ZooT

Re: C60 stuck in equalize...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:18:33 AM »
The C-60 is only supposed to flash red in LVD mode...... never in  charge control or dump mode.......in dump mode it's supposed to flash orange, and orange only when it gets overloaded, otherwise it's always green.

In equalize mode it should flash green and orange......

The book though say it'll flash red if perchance one reinstalls the LED backwards

I had my C-35 go flashing orange on me once when I had a 30 amp car heater hooked up to it.....and it just kept dumping too......maybe to save the controller?

Try disconnecting it and letting it sit for a few minutes.....and then bring the turbine to a complete halt somehow, and reconnect it using something small...like a car tail light bulb for a dump load, and see if it works right.......and if that works....reconnect your regular dump load and put your wallet away 8^P

I got mine working again.....and I thought I cooked mine too.......I hope you can do the same....

I also tend to overlook simple devices when things work well....but learn quickly when things don't......so now there's a simple $2.00 bayonet switch to short out my minigen200 connected to the terminals of the bridge rectifier on the AC side......

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:18:33 AM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
  It has a manual button to change to equalization mode which it blinks red/green.  Usually takes about an hour then automatically switches back to green solid stating the battery is charged.  This one is stuck blinking red/green and is constantly dumping.  I've disconnected completely for a full day, after reconnecting it - it seemed normal blinking green but about 10 minutes or so it went back to red/green blinking and starts dumping.  My turbine is connected directly to the batteries and this is used only as a diversion controller ( not load control ).   I'll play around with it a bit before I decide what to do with it...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 12:22:40 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

jmk

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:12:42 PM »
 If unplugging it doesn't work try moving the potentiometers to a  higher voltage. I set mine so that they are higher than my inverter is set so I can use charge mode without dumping grid. Sometimes it dumps just a little bit when I first put it in charge mode, but it's ok after a second or two. I've only seen it do that a couple times. If I remember isn't there a reset button on it? Yep, that's the spot you have to hit with the hammer.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:12:42 PM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 07:25:42 PM »
  There isn't a reset button on mine... it's pretty much toast in my opinion, even if it did start working again I wouldn't trust it anymore.  I'd be concerned it would drop back in dump again and drain the batteries overnight.  

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:25:42 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

jmk

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »
  Ed, Xantrex has an excellent tech support. Call this # 408-987-6030. The guy I talked to had the manuals memorized and could answer my questions without hesitating. You may want to have your manual out before calling him. He might just have you jump around from different pages like he did with me on my 142 page inverter manual.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:58:22 PM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 10:23:09 PM »

Try this...   Disconnect the C60 and with an Ohm-meter, check continuity

from input to output...  Just to see if it might be blown and stuck on.

I can't remember if those had a relay or not, but if so, the relay is most likely

open without power.

boB

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:23:09 PM by (unknown) »

Eirbyte

• Build Your Own Wind Turbine
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »
I installed one for a friend before xmas and it now seems to have the same problem he phoned me saying he had lots of hot water in a good wind getting 20-30A in from his 8ft turbine but the batteries were down to 23V and dropping so over the phone I got him setting pointers and turning it off but no luck maybe its the xmas 07 C60 bug.

Before it became a dumpload controller it was working away as a PV controller for around 16 months if that makes any difference it's good to get as much info as you can how long was yours running?.

I will get to see it in the next week but like you I would not trust it now looks like a new Tristar for him but maybe it would work as a PV controller will let you know after some experiential taps what's up with it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:42:03 AM by (unknown) »

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »
It would be wonderful if you guys (and gals) would write out the whole name of devices you are referencing for those of trying to learn.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:47:26 AM by (unknown) »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »
I only mention this because its similar symptomatically.

My Trace C-60 Charge controller developed the same symptoms when I reconfigured it for 24 volts from 12 volts. It flat quit working properly. I sent it to Xantrex and they found rotted traces from environmental moisture. It lived in a building that was dry yet not sealed from air exchanges. Fog and humidity caused the rot. Silly that they did not coat the damned boards in the thing. I will never deal with Trace / Xantrex again. Poor design and they said they would replace the board but never did.

I will be using Outback equipment from now on because of this. If they had replaced that [probably less than $100 board] they would have sold me a 3 KW class 24 volt inverter which I bought soon after from Outback. Customer service counts here.

Just an idea to look into if it was in an outdoor unheated shed like mine was.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:59:54 AM by (unknown) »

Eirbyte

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 04:46:12 PM »
Thanks Tom I had forgotten that we used wd40 on the circuit boards of radar, radio, fisfinder and the like on the fishing trawlers a squirt of it would have the faulty gear back on line again in no time. So it could be dampness the C60 is in a damp place  I will try a shot of it to see. The same wd40 kept my Japanese bikes running in the 80s as well but maybe now they have changed the formula of the stuff or is their something better.

Anyone have problems with C40s I  installed some in damp places and have had no complaints yet.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 04:46:12 PM by (unknown) »

Eirbyte

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »
I also have two Xantrex inverters in my workshop that have died from dampness I did not install them but replaced one with an Outback and the other with a Studer boat units are working well. I have now stooped using Xantrex stuff because of poor sales service.  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 04:56:58 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »
Eirbyte;

Just FYI;

My FX2524 Outback inverter is rated any environment but submerged. It is in a sealed room.

Cheers;

TomW

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 05:05:36 PM by (unknown) »