Author Topic: Slip-rings on the base of the tower  (Read 1680 times)

zvizdic

Slip-rings on the base of the tower
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
Slip-rings on the base of the tower to me it seemed like a good idea worth the effort. First, access to the rings is very important to avoid lowering of the turbine.Second, a small shift towards the wind stay in the flexibility of the cable .Here are pictures and video for those who share my opinion. The rings are made of brass.   .   .   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv0nRHZGcQ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

zvizdic

Re: Slip-rings on the base of the tower
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
Interesting is no one has any comment, suggestion or question.

Fused

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
Be patient, no one is obligated to reply.

You asked no questions, nor asked for suggestions.

Looks like it would work ok, but its a lot less expensive to just put a plug in at the bottom that can be unplugged and cord untwisted.
Unless you live in a turbulent area, I see no need or use for it.

Fused

Rover

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
Its a neat idea...and obviuosuly some thought went into it but...
1) its more stuff to worry about
2) if you are running 1 1/2 or 2" pipe,  the wires can bind against the inside of the pipe (never seen it happen on mine, but others have .. sorry couldn't find references for that ) ...a slip ring at the base may mitigate that somewhat..... guess it depends on the tower height and the wire.
3) depending on the height , and the forces needed to swivel the the slip ring , may not do as you think. If its easier for the wire to twist than move the slip ring, slack in wire.. hmm ?
4) See #1

If it works for you,.. cool.. maybe it will answer someone elses issue. I prefer the KISS approach.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>