Author Topic: The first step for my shop  (Read 38103 times)

Scruff

Re: The first step for my shop
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »
Cheers I'll have a look.

it is not intended for structural or rather I've not tried it for structural.

Neither is P40 but my daily's got a litre in each back corner (you'd never know unless you drill it) and seems to be able to carry a quater ton of lead just fine. I'm pretty sure that's way above GVW from looking at what was left of the suspension travel.

Cars are great, so small and quick. If you can't get the part off you can always just break it.

Gorra upskill to arc welding instead of this tap and die set & to expand my toolkit from 25 year old rusty heart breaking van to 7.5ton. Them 32mm sockets and half inch drives....might as well tickle it!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:10:31 AM by Scruff »

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2020, 10:56:59 PM »
Most of the day spent removing my not so temporary, temporary welds gouging with carbon arc and oxy/act to finally get all of them removed.
 A long time ago a guy said he would trust one of my tack welds to hold 2 sections of a bridge together  I hope he was kidding but after having to cut out some 50 or 60 welds ranging up to 4 inches long I need to re visit my method of making a temporary weld.
 However they are all removed now and I did manage to begin the lift in preparation for separating the box from the trailer chassis

it takes a lot of blocks

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2020, 02:19:56 PM »
Was that a Subaru Brat I spied in the one pic? Thought those things went extinct!

Scruff

« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »

Frank S

« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2020, 02:53:08 PM »
Yep it is an 83 Brat needs a water pump gasket and a new home
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Frank S

« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2020, 10:19:01 PM »
Its DOWN;
after finishing lifting the box I slid the beam in place

then rolled the chassis out from under stopping and checking every few feet

Gone but now the box is over 4 feet up in the air

Time to lower a few inches at a time
 the safest and probably the best way I have found to lower beams such as this is by double cribbing making a set of cribbing inside of the main set so the jack is independent then if anything happens to slip it cant be by much

Frank S

« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2020, 10:23:57 PM »

DOWN as far as it goes until on the concrete pads

might have to chink the gap with a cigarette paper

level enough until I place the concrete pads under it

And look what the steel genie left me

Frank S

« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2020, 07:48:20 PM »
the box is now down on concrete blocks
I have the gaps closed at the low spot so now after I put the bucket back on the loader I can back fill it

Looked like the perfect place to store several thousand dollars worth of extruded aluminum

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2020, 08:52:37 AM »
Frank S;
Am I seeing enhanced hinges in the last pic on the side of that trailer?

Nice work ! I still use my old 20ton jacks too, just a few hours of maintenance every year or so and they'll have another 10 years of service.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Frank S

« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »
Bruce S the hinges on the doors of both HHG trailers are the normal ones I do need to do some door repairs especially on the doors that are on the other side because they will open to the outside mostly for ventilation and access to clean out the swarf from the lathes.
 I'm hoping to change the fork carriage out for the bucket on the backhoe today and resume mining some more of the select fill but we will see how the day goes.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2020, 12:48:26 PM »
One more please.
The fork lift , gas, LPG, diesel?

used to love working on the LPG ones, hardly ever had cylinder grunge problems. Little 4-banger is a work horse!!

Cheers
Bruce S

Frank S

« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
the forklift is a Hyster duel tire 6000lb that used to be able to lift over 8000
2 sp manual trans Continental G193 side mounted pump on gas but it needs rebuilding horribly

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
the forklift is a Hyster duel tire 6000lb that used to be able to lift over 8000
2 sp manual trans Continental G193 side mounted pump on gas but it needs rebuilding horribly
While fun to rebuild, on petrol , the head(s) will be a mess unless you stepped up to a hotter plug.
BUT as you know,,, with a hotter plug comes knocking issues with anything lower than 89Octane. IF it's old enough to still have carbs, and the float is a newer one you could run a tank or two of E85 and clean things up, of course even that depends on what the innards of the fuel tank looks like.

Thanks!!
Bruce S

Frank S

« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2020, 05:08:19 PM »
The only gasoline I buy when putting it 5 gallon cans is the mid range what ever that junk is because it doesn't seem to sour as quick as the cheap grade. as far ass the E85 goes what ever that is supposed to be I live in the country not in or even near some communist city so I doubt if I have ever even seen any E85. the pumps say may contain 10% cornstarch (methane) and the diesel pumps say ultra low Sulphur and may contain as much as 5%  silage the only thing that bothers me about the ultra low Sulphur is my vehicles are older as in the newest thing that I have powered by diesel is over 30 years old meaning they are old enough to run on filtered motor oil.
 the forklift has a carb on it. It will foul the plugs in 10 minutes if trying to run the bottom grade gas but will run a couple tanks full through it with the mid range.
 my 8n tractor wont run on the bottom grade gas either.
 The only things I have that has computer controlled engines is my 98 B3000 Masda and my 2003 Expedition the Masda will run on the cheap stuff but the mileage suffers greatly Don't know about the Expedition haven't put it on the road so the only thing it has had in it since I got it running is from my gas cans 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
MN all gas is E10 or 10% corn ethanol, E15 is also available and my new SUV will run on it, and E85 is available everywhere and I live 125 miles form any big city commie center LOL can also get biodiesel everywhere but winter blend has very little of it due to gelling issues.

E10 in lawn equipment is a nightmare. Have to tear the snowblower carb apart again, it has some crap plugging the jets... the ethanol eats the rubber hoses, eats some plastics, stuff is a nightmare.

Scruff

« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2020, 02:41:25 PM »
E85 is available everywhere

Might as well be a unicorn horn to us.
I've only ever seen it on uToob.

We're still using steam trains mind.

Frank S

« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2020, 03:39:54 PM »
So I can better understand this are you saying that E85 is 85% corn starch? ethanol methanol blethanol or what ever its made of?
 If that is so then I've never seen anything remotely similar to any fuel that contained 85% of anything other than gasoline.
 I was just at the pumps today there are 3 grades 87 89 & 91 and 1 grade of diesel the prices were as follows $2.09-9 2.49-9 2.69-9 and 2.59-9 for diesel on the pump it said some grades may contain 10% ethanol and the diesel said it may contain up to 5% of something. No mention of something called E85 anywhere.

Scruff

« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
It's pretty much a race gas alternative.

Morah powah, lower temperatures = morah, morah powah.

You can flexible fuel yer car to detect the mix and change the tune accordingly.

It's very low knock.

Frank S

« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2020, 08:05:32 PM »
That still doesn't tell me what it is other than I hear about it all the time. I still can not say that I have ever knowingly seen it at a pump anywhere
 what is the octane rating? Is it stabilized for longer term storage as in anything over 3 months since regular unleaded in summer time will foul in about 4 months once the 10% cornstarch evaporates out of it

Scruff

« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »
Most people use it to go faster so the shelf life is a bittova non-issue. I've no idea. Everyone'll be using singularity engines by the time we catch up.

Scruff

« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2020, 08:25:21 PM »

that means 6 months to the rest of us I reckon.

MattM

« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2020, 10:14:46 PM »
E85 is all over the Midwest.  I've never seen it in Florida.  But when you consider the much lower energy density, and subsidized prices to get less value per dollar, its not particular good for us to use.  Biodiesel uses different organics and are still a very poor value in comparison.  They all make corporations a lot of money at your expense.

Frank S

« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »
Ok I finally decided to look up just what the E85 is I figured it was a blend of 85% something plus gasoline. As it turns out from what I read it is 855 ethanol just a fancy word for a poor grade of drinkable  alcohol  or actually Ethel Alcohol leave out the gasoline  age it in oak barrels and make it worth something besides burning in an engine.
 But I've never seen it at the pumps

tanner0441

« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2020, 10:41:24 AM »
Hi

One problem with alcohol as a fuel is the amount of water in it. It is Azeotropic which mean when your distiling it one pass through the still and you cannot get better than 95% alcohol, multiple passes won't get better than 98% without using desicators. Once it is in your tank it starts to absorb water from the air so in cold conditions the last thing you want is condensation on the inside of your tank with alcohol fuel slopping about.

You can get any water in diesel to mix by adding alcohol, it is sold under fancy names but it is either Isoproyl alcohol or Ethyle alchohol.

When the price of these hand sanitisers went through the roof in the UK and Isopropyl alcohol went from £10 a gallon to £95 I made a sugar wash and produced my own alcohol. (Not illegal in the UK if I don't sell it). It churns out Vodka at about 200% proof (it will kill you) with methanol and all sort of other nasties in.

Brian

Frank S

« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »
Adding fill inside the shop will be at a standstill for a few days due to a used  ag tire I had to use as a replacement for one of the rear tires on my backhoe wasn't up to the task Being only an 8 ply tire and a radial at that coupled with being old compiled the problem. Had I used a tube instead of mounting it tubeless this would have helped the ag tire to support the weight of the backhoe considerably, as I could have upped the tire pressure by possibly 10% bringing it closer to the 35 to 40 PSI needed. But as it was 28 to 30 PSI was as high as I felt safe for the 8 ply tire. Industrial equipment tires are usually 10 or 12 ply and made for 35 to 45 PSI.
Anyway I had moved several bucket loads to raise the elevation of a pathway around the side of the shop so I wouldn't have to be driving on a grade with a full bucket to enter the shop from the South side. Then I mined some select fill and started hauling it inside traveling a little too fast making the machine bounce entering the pit area caused more flex than the aged internal bladder of the tire could withstand. I heard it start hissing air so quickly grabbed one last bucket full and headed for the shop I almost didn't make it.
 so Here is all I managed to get done and will be until I replace the tire I have a 2nd tire I can install but ordered a tube for it hopefully if I am  more careful it will last until I can buy a pair of new industrial tires for the rear

Scruff

« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2020, 01:53:50 PM »
One problem with alcohol as a fuel is the amount of water in it.

That's also it's greatest asset. It keeps the combustion chamber temperatures down so you can use more fuel and more ignition with less detonation.
Not that it's really a benefit unless you retune yer motor.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #224 on: October 23, 2020, 02:19:38 PM »
Frank S
I see your helper is kicking in  ;D.

Bummer about the tire tho.

As an " ATF licensed" producer of fuel Alky, I could go on and on about the good & limitations about Exx, and as former bio-diesel there's a ton I learned and still keep informed about.
However, this post is not about those items and there's tons of information on the forum about both.

Unless you request that info, I'll try stearing back to the original posting and great pics you keep posting.

Thanks for allowing the slight diversion.

Bruce S 

Frank S

« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2020, 02:56:16 PM »
the temperature is in the low to mid 40s today with the North winds kicking in with 35 mph gusts Really makes me glad to have as much of the shop walled in as I do. Having a work area next to the JB container gives me a place out of the wind and it is quite comfortable there so instead of doing some of the other things I need to get done I decided it was a good time to work on getting a station air compressor  assembled.
 Years ago I swapped a few things for an 80 gallon tank and in another swap I got a 3 cyl. compressor and motor already plate mounted but without a tank so I just welded the plate to the existing plate on the tank then ordered the missing parts I needed like a pressure sw relief valve gage and a few other things but hadn't gotten around to making the thing pump air. What better time than now I thought.
 hopefully by this evening I will have the thing pumping air. I think they had too small a motor on it but it is what it is until I change it later.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2020, 03:17:54 PM »
Frank S
Are you going to go thru the pressure testing to get the air tank's max pressure? OR just wing it?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2020, 03:23:40 PM »
Ok I finally decided to look up just what the E85 is I figured it was a blend of 85% something plus gasoline. As it turns out from what I read it is 855 ethanol just a fancy word for a poor grade of drinkable  alcohol  or actually Ethel Alcohol leave out the gasoline  age it in oak barrels and make it worth something besides burning in an engine.
 But I've never seen it at the pumps

I have 2 ethanol plants nearby(within 30 miles)... and MN requires the crap be added to gas...

Artful Bodger

« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2020, 03:54:17 PM »
If you're going to bring up E85 again, I'll chime in.
E85 is available near me in a quiet part of France. About half the price of E10. Seems only Fords can take it from new, and the conversion kits for other makes retard (IIRC) the timing, but it eats out various parts of the fuel system.
Great thread Frank S. Thank you for sharing your project and allowing the off topic. I'd love some of your toys.
2012 1.1kW PV + SMA SB1700. 2021 740W PV + 600W Hoymiles MI600

Frank S

« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2020, 05:48:07 PM »
Frank S
Are you going to go thru the pressure testing to get the air tank's max pressure? OR just wing it?
I'm not overly concerned about the integrity of the tank even though it is an older tank made in 1989 it is about twice as thick as a new 80 gallon tank is. It has not been used in 20 years that I know of and was used as auxiliary storage when it was new. in other words it  never had a compressor mounted on it and had been installed just outside of a paint booth after the driers So the tank has never been subjected to the heat and condensation of a tank with a compressor mounted on it.
 on the data tag it states 200 PSIG working pressure I will only be running 125 to 135PSI And I have 2 or 3 more 60 gallon tanks that may be incorporated into my system as well I like volume over pressure when it comes to pneumatic tools which is why I will probably be running 1 1/2and 2 inch supply lines through the shop STEEL PIPE not plastic unless I run urethane SCH80 made for air supply NEVER PVC.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2020, 03:03:30 PM »
I was in a shop that used PVC for air piping. Talking to the owner as we tinkered on his hot rod 32 Ford about how much money he saved on the PVC versus real air line. BANG then shrapnel. I got a piece in my arm, he got 2 in the back... mine was minor, his was a trip to the ER for stitches and IV antibiotics because it was really deep and close to the spine. His savings? $2500 ER bill to save $200 on air line. His back was to the line and 2 feet from it... I was 8 feet away getting something from the toolbox or I would have taken it to the face because I was facing him across the motor. He replaced it all with a Rapid Air kit, the poly jacketed aluminum line.

I am going with a 3/4 inch Rapid Air kit in my garage https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200484023_200484023

And a 60 gallon 10cfm at 90psi compressor to replace my little portable air nailer compressor that is going to explode one of these days, lot of rust in the tank, drain valve no longer turns... getting dangerous so has to go.