Author Topic: An Proto-Teach Éireannach  (Read 37338 times)

Scruff

Re: An Proto-Teach Éireannach
« Reply #363 on: May 11, 2021, 05:21:58 PM »

Skip the diodes too they're for PWM controllers.

Bingo. Parallel isolated batteries with stereo MPPTs on a single panel.
12V & 24V

They're not isolated...they're common ground.

And I've found out what the diodes are for a sercet feature...

If the lower voltage battery is discharged the higher voltage battery will backfeed the lower voltage battery's charge controller, supplementing the solar input up to the lower voltage controller's battery charging current limit (Alarm).
When the shared panel/array drops below the acceptable MPPT input voltage range the controller drops to night and opens the Day/Night FETs. This can cause a lottov hysteresis switching.

I think that's kinda useful...but I'm not sure what for. My lower voltage battery has a 265W panel and a 12Wh per day load my higher voltage battery has a 2.5kW array and a 400Wh > 20kWh per day load.

Er...I'm sure that's useful for something....I just haven't figured out what exactly that is yet...

I put a diode on it...one not two...because I'm lazy and shyt rolls downhill.

(Don't be deceived the cable colours are arbitrary, 3 phase mains cable was the right length and the MC4s were the "wrong gender" for the direction...I love the way they write the polarity on interfacing MC4....especially when they change polarity indicators depending on whether it's a cable mount or panel mount....gobsprites!...another instance where doing less would be better)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:43:28 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #364 on: May 11, 2021, 05:26:21 PM »
I transmuted some ApprenticeVolt interfaces (glorified RS232 to USB package with two CAT V resistors and a battery thermistor) into a 12kW, adjustable fixed output, variable hot feed input instanto hot water machine...

...I informed Mrs Scruff that I no longer have enough inverters to powah the house.  :o  ;D ;D  ;)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #365 on: May 12, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
Being one that uses a USB to RS232 quite a lot. What's the wire gauge of that cable?

I'm a big fan of using Cat V as multi-purpose pairs . Having 4-pairs sure does help with 3-phase ECMs.
I've not yet gotten up the courage to try having my immersion heater (keeps the alky temp at 50c)  powered by a battery bank high enough.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Scruff

« Reply #366 on: May 12, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »
The RS232 or the 12kW?

The RS232 is proprietary teal flavoured gauge. 12kW at 230V single phase..I'll be running in 10mm²....I think 16mm² might be overkill. consulting and employing a qualified due paying electrician.... ;)

I throw loadsa battery in the immersion they're usually full so anytime I changeover with the sun out I dump into the water tank before it gets expensive. 

I may be ordering another 7kVA... :-[
The next thing I have to tell Mrs Scruff is the battery is too small... :-X

What? Who said just connect the 12kW to the utility only and use the oil and or solar and or immersion....SSSSSSssshhhhh

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #367 on: May 12, 2021, 09:58:13 AM »
RS232. Most of the newer teal flavored ones here are down in the 30ga (0.25mm) range.
My Cat 5 wire is old school (plenum rated) 26ga (0.40mm).
I replaced the hair thin wires on my PVs to the Cat5 single solid core wires, then protected them from UVs inside conduit. Much much cleaner looking.

The MRS asking for more power???
I do have a question about water. Once work slows down I'll post it here if that's okay.

Cheers

Scruff

« Reply #368 on: May 12, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
CAT V PV cable!¿ I always think 4mm² is weedy except it's well hard to get 6mm² for less than double the price.
I'm also usually amazed how conservative my voltage drop calcs were...the losses are rarely as bad as I anticipate...hrmmm current sources.¿...

Nah Mrs has enough power she tends to run outtov things to turn on at about 5kVA...

I'm just pulling that classic...so I traded in some knick-knacks for a reliable hot water source....now I think I have enough credible deniability to order my truck's second and third phase under the guise of having more load than off-grid supply capability.... :-X

I think I might change diverter fancyin' from immersun to iboost+...I asked them some technical questions about the product a coupla days ago...to be honest I don't think they know the difference between phase angle fired, burst fired or PWM...most people just ask how long it'll take them to become a thousandaire.

The iboost is "high frequency", lots cheaper and more readily available with lower mileage...I reckon I can get it to do what I want by manipulating the CT....maybe

Ask away...no guarantee I'll know though, or be right...If I haven't admitted I was completely wrong 2 or 3 pages later it's usually a safe bet.. ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:52:59 PM by Scruff »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #369 on: May 12, 2021, 02:01:07 PM »
My distillation setup is now going full tilt with power to spare. So I'm thinking of taking the batteries through a deep charge one at a time.
These are the flooded type ~30Kg each

For the batteries I use rain water. We have (3) 50+ rain barrels for me to pull from. I generally run the water through a few coffee filters to clean out the debris about 1/2 dozen times.
Testing before and after cleaning has the water PH still sitting at ~5.5ph. Since that is on the acidic side I've worried about  using it for the batteries.
I could run it through activated charcoal (true activated charcoal not the filters that have salts in them to soften the water )

I just wanted to get your opinion on it.
The batteries are still doing just fine, though I do baby them just a bit.

Thanks
Bruce S

Scruff

« Reply #370 on: May 12, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
That seems funny at first glance worrying about the acid strength of battery acid. To be honest I don't know. Using rain water is not something I've tried just something I've heard the grey-beards using. I don't go through much more than half a litre a year. I usually put half a bottle in the engine coolant when the contents are turning primordial or use it to clean the toolbox off my hydrometer.

I don't know about the ph concerns nor the purity of ph.
It makes sense though, you can make yellow light by adding red and green or removing blue...not the same thing.

In terms of electrical conductivity, the orange box is the ticket. More MΩ are better.

I have noticed deionised is purer than distilled.
And 14.8V no EQ is for me at least equally effective and less water intense than 14.7V + EQ, also that water loss can be reduced with the watering kit once the hydrocaps are in and the electrolyte is topped off, the float valves shut the gas path and the gases can be recombined if they don't exceed the pressure release valve threshold.
Having said that my golf-carts are pretty much idle the last year. I use 14.8V touring and 14.4V standing idle. I useta have a selection of alternator regs for the season...some were 14.4v some, 14.7v some 15v...I stopped the messin' and realised I was better off chasing current there.

They ought only gas above 14.2V in 25°C
High C-rates are the most taxing, charging especially so. I C3 when I need to and C50 when I can afford to.
After that excessive voltage...overvoltage tends to be more aggressive than overcharge.
Overcharge being overly long charging at the correct voltage...generally a lot better than undercharge and extremely difficult to do. It takes days to overcharge a lead battery at the correct voltage.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:10:19 PM by Scruff »

mab

« Reply #371 on: May 12, 2021, 05:07:28 PM »
I would be wary of using rain water: if you collect it off a clean plastic roof via a clean plastic  gutter into a clean plastic barrel it ought to be OK-ish - in an emergency. raindrops form around some sort of nucleating particle (is that what they call it?), spec of dust/smoke particle perhaps, so will never be entirely pure. I would guess you would see no immediate detriment, but over time as more and more contaminants end up in the battery the self discharge and gassing would increase.

if your rainwater passes over metal of some sort it will pick up some of it and not be ion free, and if birds are leaving deposits on your roofs then who knows what's in them.

I recall someone who decided the water collected by his de-humidifier was distilled and topped up his boat battery with it:- the battery immediately foamed up when the water was added - i guess it dissolved some of the ally/copper/solder from the little cold radiator.

deionised water is cheap to buy so unless it's already an old battery which takes a lot of watering and charging, I'd just buy it in.

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #372 on: May 13, 2021, 04:11:05 AM »
Yes, De-Ionised water for lead acid batteries.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #373 on: May 13, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »
Actually, the rain barrels are open filled. No roof or other assistance. I do have both metal mesh and black weed barrier cloth to keep the mosquitoes and leaves out. In the blue barrel the water is clear enough to see the bottom.

They are a good 5+ years old and came off some person boat that used them for their trolling motors so I do baby them a bit.

I need to replace my specific gravity meter so I can get a better reading of the health of them, so I take specific gravity measurements. I took a Sg test of a known good (<1year old) battery (~2.74) I use that measurement to keep an eye on them.
Since I have a aquaponics setup and am used to taking pH and conductivity tests , using the meter(s) was a no brainer.

Cheers
Bruce S

Scruff

« Reply #374 on: May 13, 2021, 12:57:07 PM »
I would go with factory deionised and even then as soon as I start to see organic flotsam in the bottle I get a replacement. As I say it doesn't cost me anything significant the amount I go through.

I know for a fact Mr. Camilli I'd regard as an OG greybeard has been using it for years. In his own words "I've used rainwater for the past two years on mine and another bank with no issues. I was going through at least 50lts of deionized water a year, which in my location is around £30 for 25lts by the time it arrives here. As both systems receive input from hydro turbines they use a lot of water. It was Biff that put me onto it, however I collect the water in an upturned 1200lt plastic tank cut in half and just filter out the odd leaf with a nylon stocking. I wouldn't be wanting to collect it from the roof or anything like that though.

If your only using a couple of litres a year though I'd just buy the right stuff, in the 'real world' you can probably get 25lts for less than £20."

That was 8 years ago.

Scruff

« Reply #375 on: May 13, 2021, 06:14:11 PM »
I stumbled across this earlier and thought that's worth a repost..Regarding Marlec (solar Iboost), Studer (lots of issues including the repair report) and every grid tied battery saleperson I've ever met.

I got my under-packaged Studer XTM 4kVA repaired boards back today

???  ::)

"Have you tried bending it back on into place"
"Yes sir I understand it's an inverter...not a Honda"

..port survived...doesn't make it ok.

So if we follow the fresh flux trail...

It's my original boards..I lucked out on them being too lazy to diagnose it & repair it...

The Mains Input got MOVs

D14 got replaced and the one above it added

U1 replaced beside the Data Line Terminator.

U2 & U3 also replaced

And I got 2 new 6800uF caps (If you examine the first pic of the temp sensor port the cap in the background has a black jacket...my originals had blue jackets)

Anyone hazard a guess at the cause of death?

I'm not sure what to do with this now...I reckon I could flip it as "manufacturer refurbished" for better than I paid for it...responsibly I oughta have a spare...if I'm hiring it...yurp...I think that's it's destiny...although...I like flying spares best....

She lives on anyway..

When your inverter is bigger than your battery you know yer doing it right!  ;)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:35:51 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #376 on: May 13, 2021, 06:45:15 PM »
While we're on the subject of worth a repost....

This is my favourite YouToob video..

Absolutely nothing to do with ecology or even alternative energy I'm afraid.. :-[

;D ;D 8)

clockmanFRA

« Reply #377 on: May 14, 2021, 03:09:03 AM »
Scruff, so you have travelled in a Taxi in Paris then?

:) :D ;D

I love the bird tweeting at the end!

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #378 on: May 14, 2021, 03:25:18 AM »
For me, Russian-driven taxis in New York ("don't look while we take a short-cut across the park grass") and Brussels ("I shouldn't be drinking from a can of vodka or stop in the middle of the road and fall out flat on my face when I run out?")...  %^P

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #379 on: May 14, 2021, 05:33:42 AM »
BTW Scruff, another reminder that lithium is not the only storage answer, especially for RE, and especially if not mobile as you point out!

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/05/10/large-scale-vanadium-redox-flow-battery-takes-shape-in-australia/

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:28:10 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #380 on: May 14, 2021, 08:45:12 AM »
I'm kinda partial to the U-turn the TAXI makes. I can smell the oil burning all the way here  :o

Scruff

« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2021, 04:54:40 PM »
Scruff, so you have travelled in a Taxi in Paris then?

I tried the champs elysees on a velo once  :o :o...and rode the Boulevard Périphérique in a camper..that's like driving inside a pinball machine.

another reminder that lithium is not the only storage answer...
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/05/10/large-scale-vanadium-redox-flow-battery-takes-shape-in-australia/

It never was..pumped hydro has been the reigning champ for over a century.
Mechanical flywheels with magnetic bearings work great in space.
Pumped gas caverns are not bad.
I don't understand why the Uk spends hundred of millions flying engineers to wind turbines to pull hand-brakes when they could just make hydrogen and burn it in the gas plants instead.

The problem with redox flow is the scarcity of vanadium. Large scale rollout costs will increase exponentially until a substitute is found.

Tidal damns...promising once the silt issues are resolved...
I think we've probably explored all the possibilities of using complimentary metals in a conductive bath.

For me, Russian-driven taxis in New York ("don't look while we take a short-cut across the park grass") and Brussels ("I shouldn't be drinking from a can of vodka or stop in the middle of the road and fall out flat on my face when I run out?")...  %^P

Dublin taxis prefer the scenic route, they'll drive into traffic when they've a fare and around it when they're unladen. "Oh look there's the other Guinness Brewery...beside the other National train station"

I'm kinda partial to the U-turn the TAXI makes. I can smell the oil burning all the way here  :o

I know right?! If there's a better reason to plant more wind turbines I don't know what it is!

Scruff

« Reply #382 on: May 16, 2021, 04:03:12 PM »
I had that Xtender apart again for reasons...

New caps. I reckon it's a courtesy, I've never seen caps that big go bad.
Spot the new improved, aftermarket temp sensor.

Speaking of

Something in the Powerplant smelled funny...H2... ???

I did the right thing and ignored it for a coupla hours and put a 12v charger on the centre tap to pull up my allova sudden drastically outtov balance batts and an Xtender in grid diversion on the 24v end. 

I got the defibrillator out and fired up the Flir (I could have licked a finger and stuck it in the air instead but that doesn't upload as easily).

Scruff

« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »
New magnetic latching contactor controller:

EDIT {Verbal typo@ 7:11 €20 switch capable of breaking full load not "20Amp"}
{NB. @ 4:34 The Coil Power for the main Contactor or  Contactor Coil Control Power "turns itself on, then straight away turns itself off" the main contactor contacts are held until a reverse polarity is applied by changing the state of the little relay}

Control a ML contactor like a traditional maintained contactor with a minuscule quiescent.

Applications:

Split Charge
System LVD/HVD
On-load System Isolators
Service Disconnects
Battery/Inverter Disconnects
Hi current low upkeep, Load triggering.

What?! Yes, my editing software has a puncture! Rotate your laptop 90°.

Post Script:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:43:35 AM by Scruff »

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #384 on: May 20, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »

Scruff

« Reply #385 on: May 20, 2021, 05:48:48 PM »
Yurp.  ;D

I found this just before I clicked on your link BigRock.

Reminds me of every other forum I've participated in...definitely not this one though.

Scruff

« Reply #386 on: June 03, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »
This is an automatic out of office reply.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2021, 04:06:18 AM »
Excellent re-use of recourses to keep that light fitting securely fastened to the celling.

First Aid Station is a bit late, as the boat plans, (artistic impression) are only done from the front?

IT A LOVELY WORLD REALLY, AS WE ALL SEE DIFFERING CONCEPTS.     yea!!!

Scruff

« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2021, 03:12:43 PM »

Scruff

« Reply #389 on: June 05, 2021, 05:33:32 PM »

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #390 on: June 06, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
What are we looking at here scruff? I could say wires in a box with a vent fan but that's about as good as i can tell.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #391 on: June 06, 2021, 11:38:10 AM »
I reckon that it's his transporter beam thing just after Scotty beamed him up...

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2021, 01:34:10 AM »
My guess is that is a store or business display in the process of construction.  I also think I see strip lighting mounted in the tubing, so once the whole erector set is together it'll probably look pretty neat.  Bring your shades, too.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

tanner0441

« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2021, 07:05:57 AM »
Hi

Looking at the first picture that looks like stage furniture is it a DMX lighting or sound system?

Or something totally boring and uninteresting?

Brian.

tanner0441

« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2021, 07:10:27 AM »
Ah

LTech WiFi LED lighting controllers..

Brian

Scruff

« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2021, 08:24:18 AM »
1 of 3
8kW 320A 24V LED DMX Controllable Driver & Power Supplies complete with phone charging capability.

600m of RGBcW LED, 2km of 5 core cable. Running about 35% duty at full rig output.