Author Topic: An Proto-Teach Éireannach  (Read 33428 times)

Scruff

Re: An Proto-Teach Éireannach
« Reply #429 on: August 05, 2021, 08:48:53 PM »
I like to keep my electrons on their toes SparWeb...same way the Brazilians practice playing soccer with tennis balls.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #430 on: August 05, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »
I'm getting a crick in my neck, now.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Scruff

« Reply #431 on: August 05, 2021, 09:11:18 PM »
That means you're doing it right!

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #432 on: August 06, 2021, 03:52:16 AM »
Ahh Yes,

My beloved old ELTEK.

And yes you do need to read the manual.  Seems nowadays i have turned into the Eltek Guru.

14230-0

14231-1

14232-2
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Scruff

« Reply #433 on: August 06, 2021, 06:15:58 AM »
Seems nowadays i have turned into the Eltek Guru.

Have you tried making a welder outtov one?  ;D ;D ;D

Scruff

« Reply #434 on: August 08, 2021, 06:34:50 PM »
System bolstered.
+ 1.5kW online

+ 1.1kW AC Coupled
+ 365W DC Coupled

I was storing panels for various clients...some of which are paid for some of which are pending if the job goes ahead like.

I decided the most conscientious thing to do for the environment and in the interest of "fidelity testing" was to store them pointed at the sky and system integrated instead of cluttering my truck sporting cardboard corner protectors.

I added 365W to the now AC coupled Battery Hospital.
The Thin Film E-Waste panels were deleted due to cadmium retention concerns regarding compromised glass. I've paralleled 60 cell monos now. 245W + 365W.

I threw 1.1kW on the roof of my container as cavalier as can be. No retention other than their own ballast. Clamps are in the post. Partial  shading after 16:00. (If I break them I'll buy them)
I plugged them into an ApprenticeVolt trinket.

We are now at 6.5kWp.

Mrs Scruff tried to use it all and failed...Mwahaha

Scruff

« Reply #435 on: August 08, 2021, 06:50:57 PM »
This ApprenticeVolt lemon deserves a post in it's own right.

Another achievement in incompetent engineering.

The LED cluster pulses in time to the output. More Powah = faster pulse.
I myself would save the bollox and fit a meter but then customers could see the device derating through "hardships"

It has a really noisy and ineffective fan that triggers too late.
It's an alleged 600W GTI.

I metered it at 550W continuous with cooling hacks.
It'll derate to 500W if you leave it to it's own devices.

I would have sold it but she's too hacked now.

The outboard double gang USB is on the islanding side. I use the 5V USB to power the 12v fan dawn to dusk continuously. It performs much better this way and lower noise.

The GTI wakes with a 1W input and then runs with a 29W parasitic, unlike an SMA that sleeps once the quiescent can't be met.

She's a Sensitive Nora that trips grid instability when you start a motor or turn on a SMPS. So spends a lot of the day on a time-out.

If the array is shaded it runs as a 29W load the day-long-day triggered by Voc.

Plug and play outtov the box (verboten).

I've never meet an ApprenticeVolt product wasn't so compromised that it's next to pointless. They don't half charge for them though...big marketing bills to pay I guess...prop it up with BS lads...don't fit a meter...make it an extortionate add on and make it also liberal about the projected data...I like the honesty of €15 external biidirectional metering.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 07:59:41 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #436 on: August 08, 2021, 07:15:21 PM »
For anyone not quite up to speed on what I'm running...

...I thought about doing that system signiture thing but it'd be unwieldy and need updating daily.

Here goes;

The PowerPlant 24V Studer Xtender 3.5kVA with external anti-islanding is the keystone; she's mated to a 20kWh multi-chemistry AGM/GEL with about 10 subvariants.
Anything the Xtender deems excess to charge requirements is exported to the property backfeeding the AC input.
This means the battery is clamped at 27.2V. I have set EQ to trigger 3 weekly to 28.8V + temp comp.

Lead-Fi is docked to the PowerPlant contributing a MorningStar ProStar MPPT 25A and 1kWh.

There's 2.2kWp PV on a TriStar MPPT 60 making it 1.6kW capable.
There's another TriStar MPPT 45 in parallel diode isolated on the array side that's occasionally useful but will probably get decommissioned soon.

The battery hospital is a 24V maintenance charging contingent with a 600W array on a Sunsaver MPPT. This is diode isolated on the array side to another 24V SunSaver MPPT that's feeding the PowerPlant and hence also grid tied (via Xtender).. There's another other 12V SunSaver MPPT that's maintenence charging via relay and LVD triggering with the maintenence connected 24V battery as it's solar input.

Another 265W is on the roof of the hover van maintaining her own hab. battery and engine battery. This is diode isolated on the array side with a ProStar MPPT 25M that's connected to the Powerplant and hence grid tied (via Xtender).

Special Snowflake WuPoG 60V LiFePO0oo 2.5kWh 4kVA stand alone set is injecting power into the property at 7am triggering the iboost to stoke the immersion. WuPoG is AC coupled to an SMA SB1700 sporting a 2.25kW array. She's recharged by about lunchtime and then diverts power to the property backfeeding on the AC input. External anti-islanding fitted with 20 bazillion lLiFePO0oo protection disconnect features and active temperature dependant throttling.

Li-fi (1kWh LifePO0oo 1.2kVA) mostly naps in a low SOC. Compatible with not much.

New temporary array 1.1kW on ApprenticeVolt Soladin "600W" on local radial.

Off-grid on manual changeover and relocation of immersion diverter clamp between Xtenders.

Make sense now?

I run from utility at night. Not battery. It's cheaper. What..? Yes my PowerPlant battery is freecycled...it's still cheaper use utility than burn an asset. 

Scruff

« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2021, 07:29:07 PM »
I took a trip to Paul's today. Dropped him my Souper Charger Xtra-Lite by way of thanks for letting me store his array on my container.
The mission was to also delete the 35mm² battery links.

We've been offered and accepted a refund that'll buy 70mm² bar twice over.

Me being myself checked the electrolyte. An impressive 1.3 specific gravity.
Then I examined the bolts...sigh...how can they do everything wrong.. ::)

Highly magnetic signifying:
BZP mild steel.
Zinc reacts galvanically with copper terminals..and it's reactive with vented gas condensate...application: vented flooded battery!
They're not even stainless for flippity flip snacks!!
Christ on a bike those and the blinkey are manufacturer designed. Wrecking your battery and passing you on the saving!...the battery is a boss..cwaor tubular plates. The hardware is a joke.. >:(

clockmanFRA

« Reply #438 on: August 13, 2021, 02:27:17 AM »
Yes, good to see you on top of the battery hardware issues.

I had a lot of hassle from that English forum when i said i use stainless steel, A4, bolts and big straps on my batteries.

Oztules put them right, arguing my point was another reason i was ejected by the Armchair wafflers.

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Scruff

« Reply #439 on: August 13, 2021, 05:41:45 AM »
I'm gonna get brass. It's a better conductor of heat and electrons....total overkill because the bolts aren't supposed to conduct....that is unless you cover the terminals in glue. I get noticeably lower terminal temps with brass.
The shear strength is a bit shyte though so torque elbow required.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 06:15:28 AM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #440 on: August 13, 2021, 06:23:15 AM »
I actually have a pic...sorry blurry...of what happens when you use BZP on a battery. See all that yellow build up..that's the hallmark of inappropriate material union.

These are setup to die prematurely...by the manufacturer.  ::)

They've stopped trying to mansplain it to me now.  ???

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #441 on: August 13, 2021, 09:12:27 AM »
The "engineer" that thought that up needs a 2x4 splanation reaped upon them  >:(.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Scruff

« Reply #442 on: August 13, 2021, 09:16:37 AM »
Amen, that.

Scruff

« Reply #443 on: August 14, 2021, 11:52:57 AM »
Actually Bruce maybe I could do with a clatter too... :-[

Brass being a Copper-Zinc alloy is not the best choice either. CM's entirely right with A4 (coz A2..is pretty low grade stainless). 70mm bar is more heatsink than conductor on a 375Ah flooded lead battery so I'll get the A4 instead.

I've sourced reducers for our 34mm 1-3/8″ hole vent cell openings to fit standard 1/4-turn bayonet caps (no easy task).

As well as 1/4 turn recombinant plugs.

Marketing speel;

"When using lead-acid battery as a result of electrolysis of an aqueous electrolyte solution are separated hydrogen and oxygen. These gases in air may form explosive mixtures. Additionally, the electrolysis reduces the amount of water in the electrolyte, which must be relatively frequently replenished in the battery. The conversion of hydrogen and oxygen in steam is an exothermic process. The heat emitted during the recombination process inside the sealed battery significantly accelerates the degradation of the lead electrodes immersed in an electrolyte. Therefore, the process is preferably carried away from the recombination with the electrodes, thus increasing the life of the entire battery."

I tend to agree. AGM/VRLA have always been a compromised flooded battery to me. One-third to half the lifespan and throttled to protect it's precious electrolyte. Funny how before Li-Ion took off they were proported to be the whizz-bang chit...I guess because they carry a larger profit margin?
You can't beat an intrinsic evaporative coolant system...spare me.

I heart how Li-ers now compare to AGM/VRLA because they can't compete with flooded (in stationary traction)....over 150 years later... ::)

What we are building is a 1500 cycle battery at 80% DOD (equivalent to lithium-ion) with zero maintenance, negligible gas emission and water loss, no temperature dependant throttling, no memory effect, no BMS nor requirement to have one outside of rudimentary LVD made redundant by solar, €160 per kWh capacity (single cycle not lifetime) 7.5kWh usable and unlikely to self combust no matter what the fault circumstances. Paul's also very happy with the ballast for stability.

Scruff

« Reply #444 on: August 14, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
My solar's pulling it's weight.

Energy through the iBoost.

...after powering all daytime running loads.

Scruff

« Reply #445 on: August 15, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
I got this message today...

erm...I took that to mean..

I arrived to find my Souper Charger XtraLite still in bulk 3 days later. Souper ain't it! You can't buy one this good! It's rectifying the atrophy induced by silly blinkys and being stored on a warehouse floor for gawd knows how long (islander troubles).
If it was a bought one it would have given up long since and just let the sulphates crystalise.
One of these is all you need to make lead immortal.

12v Downlights installed. Best LEDs I've ever found.

CRI >97, 110° beam angle, 2700°K

I wired them to a temporary Meanwell for work light.

Generally, it's most productive to start every installation fitment with lighting.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #446 on: August 16, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »
Tiny house is coming along.

Will it be using the "traditional " insulation or some of the more sustainable such as wool or spray in?

Lights look pretty good, are you seeing any shadow problems with the LEDs?

Cheers
Bruce S

Scruff

« Reply #447 on: August 16, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »
Hi Bruce,

I'm not 100% on the insulation. It's outside my remit. He said Rockwool. Everything is expensive and hard to get.
I pay as much attention to his witterings about airtightness as he does mine about wiring.

The timber he sourced was so misshapen he brought it back to the supplier to exchange. Haven seen what was in the providers....half of the rejects were then taken home again as the best available.

Very minor shadows with the MR16s, 110° beam angle with 0.5m spacing has a lottov overlap. The fixtures also have gimbals. We are only getting started with the lighting.  ;) I have dimmers to add, multi-point switching and 526 LEDs per meter 24v COB strip for utility areas.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #448 on: August 17, 2021, 12:35:57 PM »
Lumber yard hates me, I always make them pull down a new pallet to sort through! I don't want everybody's rejects!

Scruff

« Reply #449 on: August 22, 2021, 06:03:38 PM »
Sustainability Fred asked that I not use cable ties on the gig.

He had no problem with the running of incandescent filament lamps powered by incinerated single-use platics pushing a steam turbine impeller aka "plastic recycling".

Sustainable Micheal said plastic tape is bad and looked at me funny when I suggested we relocate to an amphitheatre.

Scruff

« Reply #450 on: September 07, 2021, 05:29:37 AM »

What's all that noise in the drive?

Good Golly! Left me a gift 'e did! Thanks Thor!

What is it¿

Why are they called Xtenders?

Scruff

« Reply #451 on: September 08, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »
Has anyone checked the price of copper lately?  :o

The powerplant has been decommissioned. The DC-Coupled Grid-Tied Solar Contingent disbanded. I marmaladed 5kWp into my SB1700..AC Grid-Tied Solar...no brainer!

What?...the weather forecast? ...mostly rain...interspersed with showers, with a high chance of the odd downpour.

The grid-tied SunSaver migrated to the Battery Hospital Mk-VI© which is due a Mk-VII.
The Souper Charger© will return. The 45A MPPT partner won't.

We're making way for a twinset.

7kVA.

Upgrade everything o clock.  ::)

I spent a day building a 2 x 300A Fused DC Rated Switch-Disconnect for the twins.
Quad Albright SW80s Magnetic Latching Contactors

Complete with a remote.

Those contactor coils are woeful hard on power supplies. Snubber diode 3A, on the back of the coil controller switch.

I made a 300A pair for Paul too.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 07:28:51 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #452 on: September 13, 2021, 08:50:19 AM »
7kVA Twinset Online.

Scruff

« Reply #453 on: September 13, 2021, 06:44:29 PM »
Two meters same shunt.

The gnomes left me this under a cabbage!

Time to burn test!

Does rated!

320A @ 7kVA

Scruff

« Reply #454 on: September 13, 2021, 07:00:48 PM »
95mm2 Cables too small!

Fixt! parallel feeders.

Contactors are heating up.

Parallel Feeders.

Cleaned Contacts

Nope...Still hitting 80°C

Thaars yer peroblem!

Fuse!

Fuses get hot.

I'm glad I took those bolt down fuses outtov the inverters from the positive plane. That'd be cooking my FETs!
I reckon I'm sold on Class-T Inverter Fusing. I'll see how hot Paul's gets.
Mega Fuses are not terrible.

I liked the low profile appeal of bolt down. You can't test they're not bypassed after install. Meh. I don't think I'll use so many.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #455 on: September 14, 2021, 09:49:36 AM »
YIKES!!
Most of those temps are hot enough for a water heater!!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #456 on: September 14, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
Don't go giving him ideas...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #457 on: September 14, 2021, 01:08:49 PM »
TEG Liquid cooled contactors? Hrmm...

A 500A Shunt is a 10W heater at Spec.
300A Fuses would be a little higher.

You're paying for copper heat sink with a Class T and respective holder.

There isn't really a low profile solution to 300A fuses. Isolation...draft....

I'll make a note to delete the inverter toasters going forwards.
I've a Class T holder that takes ANL too. You'll have to wait for the three phase episode for that synopsis.

Cable jacket is rated to 70°C and declared 500A* (at 20% duty).

I'm gonna manage temperatures by implementing the unlikelihood of pulling 7kVA continuous longer than the battery can give it.
100% Rated Rubber Stamped!  ;D

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #458 on: September 14, 2021, 01:43:59 PM »
Temp management becomes a pain over 100 amps!

Scruff

« Reply #459 on: September 14, 2021, 02:03:00 PM »
Yurp. Apply higher voltage is the usual answer.

Except when it's raining 24v Xtenders and I like Trucks.

Callit a passive heater; feature!

Scruff

« Reply #460 on: September 15, 2021, 06:31:42 AM »
Is off-grid Green? Sustainable?

...glossing over the invested hardware requirements.

Here's my off-grid-tied inverter in absorption and diverting excess power to requirements onto the network offsetting the bog burning turbines.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #461 on: September 15, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »
Is off-grid Green? Sustainable?

...glossing over the invested hardware requirements.

Here's my off-grid-tied inverter in absorption and diverting excess power to requirements onto the network offsetting the bog burning turbines.

Off Grid Green, Sustainable ?
Its an issue that as you say is always glossed over.

I am tackling it with my latest publication.

I think if you stay to the three wise sayings/ Mantras, ........ KEEP IT SIMPLE, MAKE IT ROBUST, AND KEEP IT COST EFFECTIVE, then i believe your on the right path Grasshopper!.

As you know i don't get on well with all the OFF GRID retail companies selling over complicated so called green electrical equipment.
And even now i always talk about AC coupling and its far cheaper concept for regulating and harvesting your own energy, rather than loads and loads of very expensive DC charging and connection equipment.

AC coupling is definitely the way forward for harvesting, regulation, charging and boy oh boy is it SIMPLE, ROBUST, and real real COST EFECTIVE.

I talk and show Off Gridders the AC Coupling System, at First they think its complicated and are led to believe (by the commercial boys) that they need masses of equipment.   I just love it when after a couple of hours showing and doing, their light bulbs suddenly come on and they get it.   yeah!

How the hell to put it into effective writing. !  ???