Author Topic: An Proto-Teach Éireannach  (Read 33461 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: An Proto-Teach Éireannach
« Reply #462 on: September 15, 2021, 04:03:24 PM »
I just doubled my AC-coupled grid storage in about 40 minutes today (albeit still a modest ~2kWh):

https://www.earth.org.uk/Enphase-AC-Battery-2.html

It didn't take much longer to replace my off-grid storage, if the hauling around of lead is ignored.  But I did make it simpler (a single battery rather than a bank)...

https://www.earth.org.uk/battery-bank-replacement.html

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #463 on: September 28, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
Gents you both have me lost for words.

I heart forums for that. Idea propagation and considered responses.

CM. The green issue. Haha...I see green fallacy more often than fidelity. We both like empirical data.
I cannot claim to be green, I do not. My carbon footprint is that of a Godzilla. They paid me to do it (I hold my hand up to say that does not make it right either). I can use 200kAh at work in 4 hours for a societal memory and no more but contaminated soil and waste to dispose of. I know buildings the test load is 1000A per phase.

Off-grid power versus grid-tied; Grid-tied is greener. No throttling, community benefit, considerably less hardware.
Off-grid lifestyle versus grid-tied; Off-grid is greener. I lived for 10 years on 20L of water a week,  500Wh and not wanting. And yes they were diesel hybrid Wh.

Off-grid infrastructure; not financially competitive.
Off-grid under-the-radar agricultural land-living, capable, critical thinkers not willing to invest 20 years of their life to a mortgage to play by the rulez. Ha well...standards are your own but I would say it's cutting out a lottov of middlemen who may or may not be justified in their positions. While not profitable is substantially more affordable.

What I acknowledge is off-gridders like reliability and proveabilty. The cost is not as significant as these.
Grid-tied users generally want a financial return on investment to entertain the merits of conscience, misplaced or otherwise.

Damon, I remain unconvinced to the comparative appropriateness of privately owned dynamically operating grid-tied batteries. They are to me entirely of benefit only to situationally dependant economic factors of marginal merit compared to say insulation, usage reduction, intelligent load triggering. They are certainly not greener than batteryless systems that have no round-trip efficiency losses. It seems often an exercise in proprietary electron farming with a higher embedded system loss than more traditional use it or lose it installations where the network benefits more and is sure to offset dirty fuel instead of heating hybrid inverter transistors. They are pretty far down the curve of diminishing returns long beyond low-hanging fruit.
I am running a grid-tied battery and the jury's out. The two unprovable factors are; Is the LFP projected data accurate (be a cynic until proven otherwise) and can LFP perform better than lead (is that the same question)?
I've invested €8k of hardware and a 18-month build in the experiment. I am a sceptic I will overthrow diesel-electric as a consolation price prize.
I think a 10 year payback is too long regardless of ethics.
4 years. 10 hires...that's business. That ain't green either.

In any case, I'll be hibernating it for November to March because solar excess won't be a concern and operating temperatures are. I could dynamically grid-tie a lead battery but I already know the answer to that one and lead's waaaay cheaper.

I had a thought bubble the other yesterday. Would people charge their E-bikes by riding an exercise bike if time wasn't a factor? I don't know the answer.

Time or money?
I don't know too many dyed-in-the-wool off-gridders who invest in new hardware. Most buy it tired, worn out, discarded, untested and put it right. ..muddy waters..hrmm..

I can't help much to put it into effective writing either.
I'm sure somebody else has though...

The question is in many aspects similar to what is the true weight of art? What is music worth?
I often undermine my own reservations. Is 400kAh an appropriate cost for world-changing inspiration?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:41:03 PM by Scruff »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2021, 02:27:15 AM »
You could be right on all that.  I am trying to be green, but also trying out the tech to see if it actually works and I publish the data like fury.

Yes, the off-grid system displaces a tiny amount of grid electricity and the battery cost alone is many times the cost of the electricity not used.

Yes, there are round-trip losses in the grid-coupled stuff, but so there are in the distribution system too, and the grid seems very keen on reducing peak flows and increasing self-consumption from local PV.

So as you say, reducing demand eg by insulation is the important thing to do.  We've so far done as much of that as we can, and use half or less gas and electricity than a typical home round here, indeed fully cover our own e+g carbon footprint.  (Also I've put PV on other bulldings.)  IWI, MHRV, improved glazing, repair appliances as long as possible then buy highly efficient replacements.  I've stopped major building fabric improvements for now in part because the building is due to be bulldozed in a few years, so would be a waste of embedded / upfront carbon.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #465 on: September 29, 2021, 04:26:00 AM »
Hi Sruff, Hi Damon,

Yes its all muddy waters out there regards all this Green and the Sustainability stuff.

Personally i don't believe there is any easy way to save this planet.   But that's very political so will stay well away from that.

However, i do believe in showing others that show an interest, and giving them the basics and the educational knowledge in practical terms, so they can move forward in a positive manner.

For me, Hugh Piggott and making his design of wind turbines got me thinking independently and yet he gave that ground knowledge to a working machine.  That principle of educating is worth its weight in Gold!.

Sorry Scruff, Damon, i am not a very good writer or pushing out all the correct phrases and explaining in an academic concept, Nope! thats not me, so sorry if have offended you.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #466 on: September 29, 2021, 04:48:40 AM »
Well, whatever else is going on, I'm not feeling offended!

These things are not clear, and we can only try to understand and act as best we can.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #467 on: September 30, 2021, 09:26:47 AM »
I heart forums for that. Idea propagation and considered responses.

He said after 3 pints of Guinness at the hotel bar.

I am trying to be green, but also trying out the tech to see if it actually works and I publish the data like fury.

Same.

Personally i don't believe there is any easy way to save this planet.   

Nothing we can do will stop this planet. It's just the resident species and habitats we are jeopardising.

However, i do believe in showing others that show an interest, and giving them the basics and the educational knowledge in practical terms, so they can move forward in a positive manner.

Thanks for that CM.
Yourself, Camilltech & Frotter have been the most influential characters in driving me to do a lot of what I do.

For me, Hugh Piggott and making his design of wind turbines got me thinking independently and yet he gave that ground knowledge to a working machine.  That principle of educating is worth its weight in Gold!.

No BS salt of the earth Engineer that man. I have his manuals and from a legit source. There's as much between the lines as content.

Well, whatever else is going on, I'm not feeling offended!

Please don't be. Humans....expect them to be wrong about something. It opens my mind to giant cock up mitigation.
You convinced me to pony up for a retail iBoost. Although I've seen a few go since for next to nothing with failure false positives.
They're not broken if they divert at night-time..the export threshold is too low, increase it. CTs are not precision measurement devices.
If it says "tank hot" when it's not, the secondry overtemp trip on the element is probably open and needs a reset.

These things are not clear, and we can only try to understand and act as best we can.

Agree (in essence) and disagree (in principle). Add to that with the BS filter set to zero tolerance.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #468 on: September 30, 2021, 01:04:03 PM »
Getting concepts across online is not always an easy task... I run into it with ham radio stuff all to often.

And I have a really bad habit of assuming people know something about the subject so I use acronyms and abbreviations and get a lot of "HUH? What?" in return! Like my current tower project. I was rattling off what antennas would go on which tower and got the "Why can't you put them all on the same tower/mast? I skipped over explaining how they needed to be spaced and mast strength modeling to make sure it will survive 100+mph winds. A 20 foot mast would be nice but it would  fail at 75mph plus it would exceed the towers square foot of antenna rating.

I was talking to someone just starting out but ignored their knowledge level... I have been doing this since 1974...

So I try to explain things better... assume someone reading a post is a newbie and needs all the info I just gave...

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #469 on: September 30, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
Agree (in essence) and disagree (in principle). Add to that with the BS filter set to zero tolerance.

How very Delphic of you.  I'll see if this next half pint of really good beer helps my understanding!  %-P

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
I meant always adopt a critical mindset of application suitability backed with evidence as opposed to marketing, hearsay or opinion.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #471 on: October 01, 2021, 01:56:40 AM »
You rebel!

(But yes.)

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Scruff

« Reply #472 on: October 01, 2021, 07:49:04 AM »

Scruff

« Reply #473 on: October 01, 2021, 10:55:51 PM »
Catching up on the backlog.

I made gubbinses for Paul.

Cell handling T-bars.

24V Cigarette lighter sockets & USBfers.

Marmaladed into drilled blanking plates.

Electronics transplanted 230V dimmers to 12V/24V PWMers

Buck Reg Hub. 3A per I think.

We've already killed one overloading it and we're driving two like rented donkeys until the railway standard meanwell replacements arrive.

Scruff

« Reply #474 on: October 01, 2021, 11:27:01 PM »
Cell Palava.

After a month of Souper Charger Xtra-Lite© the most tenacious charger not on the market rehab I decided to bring a bottle of de-ionised to replenish the cells from a month of absorption.
Paul had already extracted them from the tank to relocate them inside and spent the previous day flushing concerning volumes acid outtov the tank that the handlers had left us.

First cell was bone dry.  :o

oh feck...all the cells were way outtov water... :o :o :o
I sent Paul to the shop for more water.

The plates were exposed in every cell.
I confessed that it mustov been the  Souper Charger Xtra-Lite©. :-[
...but had never expected it to use two year's electrolyte in a month...nor had I seen one ever gas that fast even on perma-absorption...especially not a new one.

We put 300ml in almost every cell.  :(

Mocked up a layout under the stairs.

I started reinstating the cells inside to commence wiring.

As I was wedging the fourth one in, last in the column, it erupted eletrolyte.  :o  ::)

Oh great....time to flush the tank again.. :(

These cells when taken out of compression bulge so much at the sides as to have a volumetric displacement of 200ml.  :-\
So then I realised I had to extract the diluted electrolyte. Clean the tank. Clean the cells. And set them to simmer for 3 months to gas off the excess now 2 litres of H20..sigh...

Later that night...

The pics are about 2 weeks old. The house is out in the wild now. Limited functionality.

There's an unbridled inverter outlet (pending a consumer unit install on a wall that hasn't been fabricated yet) . 24V Radials and distribution. 1.1kW of ground array connected destined for the roof. Trimetric battery moniter. MS Solar controller meter. No earth. No Stairs. No shore power inlet connected  (pending a consumer unit install on a wall that hasn't been fabricated yet).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:38:27 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #475 on: October 25, 2021, 07:52:32 PM »
I put WuPoG into hibernation today. She was tasked with dumping the previous day's solar payload into the hot water tank at first showers call 7am.
This was an answer to how to utilise oversupply when the hot water tank hitting max temperature at midday, with no load on the system and lecky was being exported for green kudos.

That as a system had a daily debt of 400Wh of quiescent and 80% RTE to recuperate as well as wear and tear charges competing with a low low price of €0.19 per kWh network unit cost.

From this time of year until April I will have no oversupply from my 5kW array (including all the strays...every panel I have including the vehicle mounts are grid tied) at 51°N that won't be consumed by my immersion diversion controller and it's inescapable ~50W bleed to the network before triggering.

Rather than have to worry about frosty charging an LFP firework show. So far I've been relying on ambient and operational temperatures. The system inefficiency heats the cells on discharge so they're receptive to charge later that day. Well two cold cloudy/snowy days with load and no input anna boarderline NTC reading stoking the charger for sunshine of the cold temperature solar panel uprating kind to outwit my defences and wreck havoc. ya know...stress not worth €0.10 a day to be concerned about...

I discharged the battery because LFP likes low SOC for storage. I rather the full kind of stored battery myself.

Anywho she's been such a trooper I awarded her a BSP from the last raven Thor sent....it didn't come with a shunt.

I piggybacked the shunt of my cheapo Chinese Meter and dialled the BSP to a custom 75mV 150A shunt compatibility.

I often use two meters on the same shunt.

Most "broken" high end meters on Ebay with 50mV  500A Shunts are usually miss-wired, bypassed or miscalibrated. You can tell they are high end by the 50mV Shunt. The cheapies are 75mV. Anyways I'll buy them instead of shunts. Most of the meters work, some don't. Because I can use two meters or more per shunt...I tend to acquire a lottov shunts anyways.

It's better practice to have one shunt...they're not recommended in series...definitely not to read the same value at least.

Why would you want two meters on a system? At one location you can read energy and power at the same time, or you could site them at different locations.

As long as both meters are compatible with the shunt you are using then I've not seen it not work. Some meters you can program to the shunt you chose.

What?! Oh right!
....Disclaimer!...if you start scrutinizing the disparity between your meters you may start to see the glitches in the matrix. Consult your local hydrometer for advice and compensate accordingly!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:03:42 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #476 on: December 14, 2021, 06:34:41 PM »
Ironically I'm finding the best thing to do with a hybrid inverter + grid interactive battery is turn it off for a third of the year if your only homegrown power is solar at 50°N. Hard to beat the simplicity of a GTI and done.

The motive is automate wake/sleep functionality triggered by this parameter.

While this is an option..it doesn't work for sleep/wake because it's a latched output and the sleep control requires pulsed input.

It's working well. ...a bit like saving fuel on a 4wd by throwing away the weight and drag of the transfer case and driveshaft. What?! oh right...yes I coulda bought a 2wd car instead but my butt would be lower.   ???

Scruff

« Reply #477 on: December 14, 2021, 07:37:09 PM »
As CM likes to remind me my small system consisting of 18 panels managed this to the immersion diverter last week. I'm in zero danger of giving any energy away to the network for kudos. I can put all €0.25 of this week's lecky abundance savings towards the diverter cost.

Eh yeah that figure might have some injection contamination...I returned my LifePo sets to hibernation at their prefered low SOC after the storm passed. I discharged them onto the house supply one night.
It's not factoring the RTE losses I'd get from trying to charge a battery with it every day and return what's left minutes later tho.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #478 on: December 14, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »
Im so glad I own this site :)

Scruff

« Reply #479 on: December 14, 2021, 08:09:22 PM »
I heart what you've done with the place JW.

Top tip; Don't revamp. It's perfect the way it is.  ;D

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #480 on: December 14, 2021, 08:21:58 PM »
LOL I remember when us admins got together (way back) Flavio was mentioning a theme change, and Damon mentioned "I don't dislike it the way it is"  :)

Scruff

« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »
I handed in my moderatorship on a forum this side of the pond after they attempted to turn it into a streaming chat face-esque thing. Nothing better to do during the pandemic except change the platform and set it back 5 years while losing most of it's personality in the process. ..Oh the migration took them months to rewrite....live...because why prepare anything...
There was a "thanks" button on that site's legacy home, one could use it to show post appreciation, or agreement even if it wasn't appreciated...they changed it to "like" and didn't understand why that would be degenerating the response genuinity.

I asked them to remove the facebook and twitter icons from every post on every page after they wallpapered their site in competitor corporate collatoral content and thought I was being fussy because I took disagreement with everything I posted being branded by entities I didn't want to be associated with...

....put them in a drop-down menu...that'd be totally fine....

They got back to me to say they accepted my resignation....because the affiliation deals were too good to miss I expect...

Forums are supposed slow-paced with accountability...the other social medias don't provoke or nuture thought...they build solar freakin' roadways..

If a reply takes 4 days to come, you know they've thought about it clearly..ya know.

I agree with Damon 100%

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #482 on: December 14, 2021, 08:56:29 PM »
We like Flavio it took a lot of work to find him, he is a good developer... We don't just give anyone the keys to the server.

Scruff

« Reply #483 on: December 14, 2021, 09:12:40 PM »
Imagine life without keys...mad isn't it! Or is it mad to not have them? Do we accept that we need them and get angry at those who don't use the keys as much as a villain.

I don't lock my car (locally don't...I do in Dublin) ...it's never been not there when I get back. It reminds me humanity isn't wrong...or my car is riding herd immunity...anna dented banger too..

still though...interesting landscape...

Like the one with no rubbish but different ...or Switzerland....where people use the bins and street cleaners aren't a thing...that'd never work here. People stealing our jobs....what is a souper cooliser anyway?

clockmanFRA

« Reply #484 on: December 15, 2021, 03:13:56 AM »
Good to see you back Scruff.

No sounds from you in November.

Did you enjoy your winter break in sunny climbs ?

Here Scruff in gloomy Normandy, week after ruddy week of grey skys. Even two of my trackers cant make there minds up where the sun is any more.
And now even the wind has disappeared. !

The whole family will be here at the weekend, that's if the French government let them into France under all these new COVID restrictions.

To keep my battery bank in top notch condition in case of black outs around here, which is always happening, what juice i am getting from renewable energy MPPT's is prioritised to the batteries first.

And at this moment I am now mostly running on Nuclear energy from EDF.   Yea, still cheaper than me buying a 15kva good quality generator, fuel and servicing.  Although every KWh from EDF costs me 0.25 euros, which hurts.

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

MattM

« Reply #485 on: December 15, 2021, 07:39:01 AM »
Biogas?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #486 on: December 15, 2021, 12:22:38 PM »
I know that cold gray sky thing... headed into the time of year where MN is more cloudy than clear... 36f and freaking fog right now, 4 degree temp drop and my antennas and solar panels will be frost cubes... severe weather inbound, may have actual thunder snow... storm chasers are setup in SE MN and NE IA because of tornado possibility being very high. I hope I stay to the cold side of things! Don't need tornados here!

Scruff

« Reply #487 on: December 16, 2021, 05:22:16 PM »
The new setup is working very well.  8)

I've successfully converted a 20kWh battery, about 20kg of cable and switchgear, 2 x 3.5kVA hybrid inverters & 3 MPPT charge controllers into an SMA SB1700 for intents and porpoises.
(and I have a LiFePO4 whizzbang box  (two actually)  that're occasionally useful but're hibernating and discharged for storage because they don't handle the cold )

I've reduced the inverter quiescent by an order of magnitude.

...taken in November. It's been creeping up as the lit hours diminish.

Yesterday I achieved this.

60Wh net load, 300Wh backfeed.

Before the recent mod. it would have been 300Wh net import on self-consumption (600Wh net load, 300Wh backfeed).

I bought this today.

The AC-coupled half of my array managed the same but more efficiently.

Other than their unique shading issues my AC-coupled mix bag of 9 oddball panels on an SB1700 match my 6 x longi 365W DC coupled on a MS MPPT 60. Usually only a few watts in it. There's another 3 DC coupled panels on various MPPTs assisting the Xtender too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:07:14 PM by Scruff »

Scruff

« Reply #488 on: December 16, 2021, 06:45:14 PM »
Good to see you back Scruff.

No sounds from you in November.

Did you enjoy your winter break in sunny climbs ?

Ha!

No CM. Day job.

I did some telly.

500m of LED on 350 ways of dimming.
Shoot was cancelled after the director caught the plague.

91kW on a build day at the diesel twinset. 100kW concurrently available on utility power.

Santa commissioned me to build him a letter dispatcher with bells and whistles.

I built a series of props for Panto

Had a look in the loft about the complete awfulness of the insulation...

Went about boarding and finishing the job..

While I was in there I installed lights in 4 loft spaces. about 80m of tellyvision grade LED.

I'm currently building a welding fume extractor from those innocent-looking boxes I found in the attic in my travels on my back aboard a skateboard. They're 300W 8" duct blowers. I've inherited 4 from the benevolent previous tenants...I reckon the same ones who installed the free lecky box.

That's the workshop loft. The floor is due to be lifted to pack with 250mm recycled bottle insulation.

I've been filling holes in the building to reduce heating load and drafts.
It was safe to assume that if there was plumbing in the room then there was a massive open passage to the atmosphere around it at some point in every room.

I had some leftover LED stock floating around...

I put some on the range...

and the floor in a bedroom

and the skirting board in the office

and the walls of the bathroom

and the not open anymore fireplace (5 ton hole in building...more heat in building when it's not there... ??? ::)... ...)

and on the "tree"

and on the chimney

and in the workshop, and in the banger.

I preinstalled the 12kW water scorcher tails to the board complete with a 300W pressure pump.
We're currently heating the house from the solar immersion diverter because the range circulation pump is permanently on after the triggering circuit expired and it started venting pressure valves.
The range is under warranty and the repair technician told us to get a plumber to fix the pump. I diagnosed the issue with his equipment and we've been waiting months for them to return and fix the internal contactor control board issue they failed to flag and advised I contract another trade for at my expense.

Bittov bangernomics too.
I commissioned Paul's tiny house AC but have to return for finishes, photos and earthing. I believe he's trading genset input for battery output with the neighbours at his anchorage now. He wants more solar. Being the honest type I won't sell him any until March if he's still asking.

Just busy was all CM.. ;D

Here Scruff in gloomy Normandy, week after ruddy week of grey skys. Even two of my trackers cant make there minds up where the sun is any more.

Hence I point mine straight up.

And at this moment I am now mostly running on Nuclear energy from EDF.   Yea, still cheaper than me buying a 15kva good quality generator, fuel and servicing.  Although every KWh from EDF costs me 0.25 euros, which hurts.

Isn't it amazing how cheap utility power is? I don't know why people try to compete. I can't even buy a battery cheaper let alone a power input for that battery nor a cable to put on it. If everybody was backfeeding it'd be even cheaper! I just don't understand these keep it all yourself (with >20% RTE losses) boxes that're so popular these days.
I know there are legal constraints on what we "can" do.

I've found forgiveness is easier get than permission (permission from the state or the environment...good golly, pick one if both aren't true) but the Irish aren't as proactive about back-feeding non-compliance investigation as some other countries.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 07:17:12 PM by Scruff »

clockmanFRA

« Reply #489 on: December 17, 2021, 05:53:51 AM »
OOOHHHH you have been a busy boy!

Just love your house stuff, gosh it must be very difficult looking after that wonderful 'Miss Ireland' and it looks like she is living in a superior dwelling fit for a Queen.

Me, Family coming tomorrow all 5 of them to eat me out of house and home.

All have to stay here at 'Le Vivray' for a few days as France has stopped the new Plague folk, and most other folk from the UK from coming here. And those that are residents have to isolate and take lots of tests to prove that they dont have anything.

Then Mrs is down the road to the local Town with her friend where she has a house right opposite a 16th century French Castle. As she gets older she finds 'Le Vivray' very raw in the Winter.

As you may have gathered, i have been getting stuff for next years 9kW static array installation, and yes ordering a pallet load with my French friend down the road. Prices are about right. But next year with shortages and transportation costs going stupid, so thought i would get stuff here in stock.
Mrs very kindly used some of the 10th building project budget to get me these sorted plus 2off Air Source heat pumps that are Ducted air flow.

So Christmas for me is coming early. Note, will probably sit in the 'Lecture Theatre Sheep barn' and croon over the new panels with my French Friend and talk about the Universe with some food nibbles and a good bottle of Malt whisky.

My boys are ready to take on serious hedging and tree felling and logging/stacking while they are here. I get tired and my arms ache a bit nowadays waving chain saws about!. haha..

After 3 months it will be nice to see family and actually talk to human beings.   

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #490 on: December 17, 2021, 09:24:53 AM »

After 3 months it will be nice to see family and actually talk to human beings.
ClockmanFRA;
I feel ya on that part!! We're still playing catch-up  :)

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #491 on: December 17, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »
I know that cold gray sky thing... headed into the time of year where MN is more cloudy than clear... 36f and freaking fog right now, 4 degree temp drop and my antennas and solar panels will be frost cubes... severe weather inbound, may have actual thunder snow... storm chasers are setup in SE MN and NE IA because of tornado possibility being very high. I hope I stay to the cold side of things! Don't need tornados here!

Mary B
How well did y'all hold up from these past winds? Down here in StLouis, we went from calm to 20Mph to sustained 50s in short order. Even my solid brick house's rafters were groaning for a bit.

Bruce S

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #492 on: December 18, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »
Peak was 75mph here... moved my 2m antennas off axis, mast spun I think... thankfully I can correct beam heading on the control box and not have to dink around on the tower in this cold air. Moved them 30 degrees. 1/2 inch of ice didn't help either. House groaned a few times... typical winter storm for here. I get hammered in winter by SE and NW winds that can last 2-3 days!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #493 on: December 19, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »
Brace yourselves for more cold.  Another deep freeze is coming for Christmas this year.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #494 on: December 20, 2021, 09:01:24 AM »
SparWeb;
Yup! Even fired up the still . Re-angled the 1/2dozen panels for a bit more solar time. Can't drink the stuff but @ 160P it sure defrosts the windows in a hurry :-).

Cheers
Bruce S